THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Case separated and stuck in die!!!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
I need some help. A 416 Rigby case separated at the shoulder and is stuck in my die. Have a RCBS neck sizing die, brass was once fired Jamison brass. I have taken screw out of top of die and tried to tap out with screwdriver,but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help will be appreciated. The head and lower portion of case separated and came out in press. Just the neck is stuck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to send the die to RCBS!

It won't cost you anything but the postage!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First let me STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to remove the "screwdriver/hammer" option from this process.

That is a difficult spot to remove the remaining piece from, but, you might try Freezing the Die overnight. Then the next morning, let as it comes up to room temp, soak the Neck/Die joint with either Liquid Wrench or Kroil.

Then run a Bore Brush through the Die to see if it will push it out. If not, repeat the above but when it comes time for the Bore Brush, jam an oversize one in from the bottom(which will cause the bristles to flex) and pull the Neck out as the bristles grip the inside of the Neck.

If you are determined to "hammer on the piece of Neck", get a piece of Brass Rod to do it with.

Chuck's way will absolutely work.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I'll try freezing and the brush. If this doesnt work then off to RCBS. I'll put the hammer down. THANKS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go back and do a search on this subject.There was some good advice re stuck cases a while back. It involved heating the die to get the case out.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote