AutoScales?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone using a Autoscale? What Are your opinions, or Preferrences? Thanks

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have had an autoscale for about 10 years,
It loads pretty consistent within 2/10 of a grain.
the balance beam is a real plus. It doesnt take much warm up and there is a nob for slow to fast speed.
I have weighed all types of powder and it does not work well with flake powders like green dot.
Its slower than the new scales on the market.
But if you set up and seat a bullet while the next load is weighed there is no waiting.
con..
it does have other issues. it has to be tore down in order to remove the powder from the container, keep it away from other eclectronics and florcent lights.
the bean scale is off from a calabrated weight.
I check my thrown weights against a rcbs505 or a digital scale and they are off by a few grains. if you are weighing loads at say 50grains and move the beam to 50.5 grains the actual weight my only be 50.3 grains.
I sent lyman a couple emails about this and have got no response.
If I were in the market for a new electronic scale I would look for something diffrent.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two Lyman Autoscales and keep each loaded with a powder that I use weekly, therefore I have no clean out problems. Each has a personality all it's own, a little work with them was all that was needed to learn the quirks. I used the beam scale on one for years for measuring other powder loads, now I have the new Lyman digital dispensor with scale set up with another powder, plus a Lyman digital scale to load individual loads. Once I got them set up I have had no issues and have used them for years. I bought the first Autoscale new and got the second for a song from my local reloading supply store that was selling the equipment of a decised reloaders widow. I would take another for a bargain price if I could find it. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a grey Lyman Autoscale that I use for loading extruded powders for long range mostly for .243 and 6.5 x 284.

It will load to the kernel about 60% of the time but they're a couple of tricks to it.

The scale on mine reads .2 grs high, but it's consistent to 3 kernels. It uses a 10/10 beam, and I think differences between the autoscale pan and the rcbs account for the difference in displayed weight.

I use an accurate check scale to set it up initialized to the desired weight.

You need to have the autoscale on a level surface, and you need to adjust the rate of flow so that it will shut off consistently. Also drafts, and incandescent light shining on the sensor will throw it off.

I find it will throw a 49 gr charge of N160 in about the same time it takes to check weigh the previous result.

Typically what I do is either accept or reject the charge, and not worry about correcting what it threw.

95% of the time it's within 3 kernels of the set weight. Occassionally it will throw way high but it's obvious from the position of the scale arm. When it's off its always off high.
AMT claimed accuracy to 1/20th of a grain, and that's about what I see. I'd be surprised if I ever saw .2 difference between charges.

Once it's set up any inaccuracy is do to run on from the trickler. If you bump the trickler it will throw high.

All automatic powder dispensers will run on. The most accurate is the prometheus which deflects that run on once the correct weight is reached.

You can get an autoscale for about $100 on Ebay, and its a lot of amusement for the money.

The biggest advantages are that it sets a consistent pace, and eliminates a lot of human error. The biggest disadvantage is that it's kind of tough to clean, so changing powders is a pain.

If you're using ballpowders a Dillon is just about as accurate and more efficient.