New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal primed bass from Natchez????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried this stuff. They sell in by the 50 count....it's already primed....and for some reason it's as cheap or cheaper than bulk remington or winchester? LOoks too good to be true. Anyone using it? Is this brass in pretty good shape when it comes to your doorstep or does it need alot of attention?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have bought a lot of .223 primed federal brass.The primers are crimped in and that requires just a little more work to reload after you use it once.

I've also used the .243 without any problem. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche describe please "a little more work"...thanks.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If primers are crimped you must remove the crimp by either swaging or turning. Either is simple. A primer pocket uniformer turns it off, but the better way is to swage. Those are sold by RCBS and others.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Bartsche describe please "a little more work"...thanks.

Removing the primer and the crimp so you can insert a new primer. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this brass in pretty good shape when it comes to your doorstep or does it need alot of attention?

I don't buy a lot of new factory brass so I'm no expert.....BUT.... the factory brass I've had in the past has had slight imperfections. Nothing that a pass through the sizer/neck expander die won't fix.

I checked out the Natchez Shooters Supply site and the Federal primed IS cheaper than the Remington. thumb

Some people say that the brass of the Federal cases is a bit softer, I don't know. Personally, I can't see a big difference in the quality of Winchester, Remington or Federal brass.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I have about 500 Fed. brass, and my biggest problem is that it is so soft.

I got them for $5 per 100, so that isn't so bad if I can get at least 3 firings out of them.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote