Notify
Tools

Help With .244 Ackley Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted
Hello All,
Just picked up a little .244 Ackley that based on my initial test firing should indeed be a winner. Can anyone help with some of your most accurate loads for any of the 100gn spitzers?? I would also like to do some deer hunting with this fellow anyone have a decent, accurate load for one of the 115gn bullets?? Thanks in advance and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
If you have a barrel marked ".244" it more than likely has a 1-12 twist,and wont stabilize the heavier 100 gr and over bullets.I also have a 244 ackley, 40 degree shoulder,in a sako forester heavy barrel,and we use 87 gr bullets for deer hunting.I have never tried the heavier bullets in mine,the 87s have always worked well on whitetail and mulies.Use either 4831 or 4350 powder.I need a fairly heavy load to form brass well,but too much will split cases.good lucklet me know how it goes.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
jb,
Yes I am aware of the .244 and it's inherent problem with stabilizaion, and the subsequent 6mm's arrival. However this is a custom rifle with an unknown barrel, and will certainly shoot 100gn bullets so I have ruled out the .244 barrel being a factory convert. I am relatively sure it is a 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist as it groups very well with factory 6mm 100gn bullets. What I am using at present is factory 6mm's and coming out with a nice 40 degree shoulder. I intend to try the 87gn bullet in the future, but right now I am trying to stay in the 100gn+ area for various reasons. Thanks for the heads up on the 87gn bullets I may ask for your pet loads in the future if you will be so kind. Thanks again for the help, and God bless. cordell

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cordell:
jb,
Yes I am aware of the .244 and it's inherent problem with stabilizaion, and the subsequent 6mm's arrival. However this is a custom rifle with an unknown barrel, and will certainly shoot 100gn bullets so I have ruled out the .244 barrel being a factory convert. I am relatively sure it is a 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist as it groups very well with factory 6mm 100gn bullets. What I am using at present is factory 6mm's and coming out with a nice 40 degree shoulder. I intend to try the 87gn bullet in the future, but right now I am trying to stay in the 100gn+ area for various reasons. Thanks for the heads up on the 87gn bullets I may ask for your pet loads in the future if you will be so kind. Thanks again for the help, and God bless. cordell

Technically,if you have a 1-10 or 1-9 twist,you have a 6mm,not a 244.Does it say 244 on the barrel?
for hunting I have used IMR 4831 usually.The long used load,handed down from my dad is 50 grains of 4831 with a hornandy 87 sp,about 5 grains over standard 6mm max loads.I rarely use mine for hunting now,as the barrel is rather heavy to carry,even if only 20" long.With a faster twist,you will get higher pressure than a slow twist,so be careful.That being said I have always started load development with the max load listed for standard 6mm and not had any problems.
I have alot of varmint rounds loaded ready to fire form,I usually get accuracy right around an inch when forming brass,somewhat better the next time loaded.I try to use ball powder to load whenever possible now,alot easier to use in a measure than stick powder.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hello jb,
Your point is well taken, and yes it is marked .244!! Hmmmm I wonder what I have here exactly?? Really it doesn't matter, I am very fond of this rascal and plan on passing it along one day. Thanks for the 4831 load I will give it a try. Thanks again and God bless. cordell