Find
Notify
Tools

Case lube - What do you do?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Without getting into a discussion of what lube you use, what do you do to your cases after sizing?

Usually I will size and decap my brass and then tumble and clean primer pockets before loading. Wiping the cases with a rag after is just too time consuming.

and FYI, I use Midway minute lube on large rifle cases, and Hornady one shot on smaller cases and pistol cases and have never had a stuck case using either.

I did stick a couple using the old RCBS grease and pad and often got grease dents.

Either way, to me, leaving any lube on the case is a no-no.

What do you guys do?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1969 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used pads with RCBS sticky lube on it, I have used Lee, non sticky, and I now (for the past 20 years or so) use Hornady lube in the tub, and apply it with my fingers. I like that way best. Best control of how much you put on and where.
I clean off with 409 on a paper towell.
Of course for pistol, I use carbide dies.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady One Shot, ensuring that I spray 3 sides, at about a 45% angle to the holding block, about 6-8" from the shells, ensuring it sprays into the inside of the neck, as well as the outside of the case.

After sizing, I wipe the case of excess lube, clean primer pockets, trim and chamfer necks, and then tumble them in walnut hull/rouge media for at least an hour.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I trim my cases if needed. I inspect the brass for any flaws in the web,body or neck.
If I have reloaded the cases four times prior,I will anneal the brass.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use either RCBS case lube 2 on a pad (for less than 50 cases) or I use 100% bees wax applied with fingers for large amounts of cases. I wipe this off with a clean rag and don't give it a second thought.
I tried One Shot lube a few years ago, got the only stuck case I've ever had and ceased using it.
I have in the past tumbled before and after sizing, but only tumble before sizing these days.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wipe off the Imperial wax with a micro fibre cloth, this type of cloth cleans better but it's still tedious work. Mostly I only neck size to avoid the whole case lubing process.

1) universal decaping die to decap.
2) clean primer pockets with a primer pocket uniformed tool it is the best tool for this job.
3) Tumble clean to polish cases or ultrasonic clean. Mostly I use the ultrasonic cleaner. Either way the cases still need to be rinced off and water shaken out and air dried for a day.
4) Neck size with Lee neck sizing die
5) Prime I have used all methods but now mostly use an RCBS universal hand priming tool.
6) Powder charge RCBS Chargemaster
7) Bullet seat with a micrometer style seating die.
8) Crimp with LEE factory crimp die.
9) Inspect inspect inspect at every step when ever I'm handling a case I'm always looking for defects.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without getting into a discussion of what lube you use, what do you do to your cases after sizing?

I use RCBS case lube with the pad. After resizing I clean the primer pockets, check the over all length (trim if needed), run them through the tumbler with untreated walnut shell to clean all the lube off of them, then reload them.

On the other hand, if I'm not going to reload them for a while, I clean the primer pocket, check the over all length (trim if needed), then run them through the ultra-sonic and then through the walnut shells. I'll prime them and stick them in zip-lock bags until I need them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
99% of the time I use the RCBS pad and their lube then wipe off the cases with a towel after resizing. When the towel gets to greasy it gets washed.
Only time I do something different is when sizing 375 Ruger cases then I hand apply Imperial.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't lube cases I'll be resizing in my neck sizer dies, except, perhaps, the inside of the case neck to ease passage of the expander ball.

For FL, I use the RCBS pad. But I only lube every fourth case using the pad (I lube case 1, skip 2 and 3, lube case 4 etc.. I coat the other cases (2 and 3) with lube I've picked up on my fingers from handling those other gooey puppies. (I do not lube the outside of the case necks.)

If I've used any lube at all, I put the cases in a bowl, spray aggressively with 409, add hot water, and agitate. I'll let them sit for a half hour or so, then dump the solution and rinse several times before laying them out to dry.

When the cases are dry, I'll measure, trim and chamfer if necessary.

There was once a time when I deburred my flash holes and used a primer pocket uniformer to clean and square-up my primer pockets, but I don't bother with that anymore. I can't tell the difference in accuracy between doing so and not, which probably reflects primarily on my shooting talents rather than the benefits of a greater attention to case preparation detail.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use rcbs lube and a pad. after I resize, I drop the cases in a tumbler for a while. that cleans off the lube, a lot of the crud inside the case and the primer pockets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
1. Decap with universal decap die
2. Run for 30 minutes in Hornady ultrasonic cleaning machine/solution
3. Clean any powder residue off of neck with steel wool/brillo pad
4. Rinse in warm water
5. Blow out both ends of each piece of brass with 100 PSI air; let set overnight in warm, dry room
6. Clean resizing die
7. Use RCBS spray lube and pad; roll lightly; twist mouth on pad
8. Resize
9. Trim if necessary
10. Chamfer mouth in/out and use wire brush
11. Clean primer pocket with cardbid uniforming tool
12. Run in Hornady ultrasonic machine/solution for 20 minutes with heat
13. Run 30 minutes without heat
14. Rinse cases with warm water
15. Blow dry both ends with 100 PSI air
16. Let set 48+ hours in warm dry room
17. Reload

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3067 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Deprime
2) Wet tumble
3) Resize - Rifle = Imperial Sizing Wax
Handgun = none
4) Corncob tumble
5) Trim - if needed
6) Prime
7) Complete loading

Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Imperial Sizing Wax. Simple easy to apply easy to take off.
1. Deprime, resize with Imperial Sizing Wax.
2. Trim with WFT II (Worlds Finest Trimmer II)
3. Clean in ultrasonic cleaner (Hot Tap water, teaspoon Lemi Shine, 1 drop of dish soap.) This cleans inside and out along with primer pockets.
4. Rinse and Dry.
5. Prime and Reload.
6 Admire your work!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Hornady One Shot spray on bottleneck rifle cases for quite a while, can't remember what I used before that. I have stuck a few cases over the years; I would just use an RCBS stuck case remover to get the brass out of the die.

Lately, though, I haven't seen HOS around here lately so have been using Cabela's name brand case lube in the spray bottle. Not a fan - while it is easier to run the cases through the die, the lube dries on the cases to where it is a pain to remove (maybe I should re-tumble after sizing?).

Hearing the votes for Imperial Sizing Wax, I am going to give that a try.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
1. Lube with Lee Case Sizing Lubricant using fingers on case body and bore-mop inside neck.
2. Size and deprime
3. Clean primer pockets
4. Measure and trim if needed (trim with Lee trim tool if one made)
5. While in Lee shafted case holder in my drill...chamfer then spin in microfiber cloth to clean lube off/polish
6. Prime
7. Measure powder with RCBS chargemaster
8. Seat bullet
9. Crimp with LFC die

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36901 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STP
Just a little bit. Keep it covered or sealed and a can will last 5 or 10 years or longer. I threw an old pop top can out last year that you couldn't read the writing on the can anymore, it was so old I felt guilty, probably 12 or 15 years old.
Messy but it works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that attempting to wipe case lube off manually is both tedious and somewhat ineffective.

So when it is necessary to lube my cases I will tumble them for several hours to remove the lube (and restore the shine). HOWEVER, "gunk" will sometimes coat the necks inside (usually near the base), so I use a brass bore brush chucked in a drill to clean the insides of the necks after tumbling.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lee Precision case lube as it is not oil based thereby making it easier to clean. Then I prime the cases and then to a vibratory cleaner. With the primers in place the flash hold does not get clogged with the small cleaning media pieces. Then to powder, wads (if needed), and the projectile.
We all do it differently and I've been doing it this way for 30+ years and it works for me.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote