THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need help H-Li'l Gun has bonded to my dispenser?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help H-Li'l Gun has bonded to my dispenser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need some help here folks. I've been putting this off for a few weeks just because I've been busy but it's time to get it figured out.

Just recently I started using Hodgdon Li'l Gun for my 500 S&W. The powder works well in the gun but here's the problem. It seems that the powder has somehow bonded itself to the inside of my RCBS dispenser. I don't mean it's stuck to the canister either, I mean it's bonded on there. If you scrap it off, the plastic is pitted where the tiny little balls of powder were stuck. So at this point the bottom 3 inches of the inside of the cansiter has a nice coat of powder 1 layer deep, all the way around. Other than getting in there with a paint scraper or a screwdriver, is there any other way to get this stuff out of there? It wont wash out. It's tacked to the inside of the powder measure pretty well. I guess the other question is what the hell happened? Was it something with the nitro in the powder that reacted with the plastic? I've loaded lots of rounds with lots of different powders but I've never had this happen before.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just came from the H. site. You may want to check on a recall for some of Lil-gun lots.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't access the site from work, but that powder that I have wasn't part of the last recall. Do they have a second recall with additional lot numbers? I guess I'll have to give it a look when I get to the house. The powder shoots fine, the only problem with it is that fact that it's trashing my dispenser.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder, after a period of time, reacted with the plastic hopper on your measure. If I rember correctly, double based powders do this. I have a Lyman measure that I bought used and the hopper is pitted and yellowed from the previous owner using only double based pistol powders. Other than looking bad, the pits and yellowing don't hurt the usefulness or accuracy of the measure, after you scrape out the clinging powder. You might check with RCBS about getting a new hopper. If you get a new hopper,just don't let the powder sit in it after you are done loading. My measure is at least 40 years old and I would have thought the manufacturers would use a different type of plastic by now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is indeed a problem with double-based powders and is caused directly by the nitroglycerine content. Redding goes so far as to warn users about this. It has been well documented. It causes little permanent harm. Replace the hopper if you can't stand the sight of the poc-marks.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do don't try to wipe it out with acetone . Made a dumbass out of me and red goo out of my hopper .

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may not help your problem but wiping the inside of your powder measure with a dryer fabric softener sheet will keep powder from sticking to the sides. It takes out the static cling.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey Kingfisher, As some of theothers have suggested, it is not a good idea to leave "any" Powder in the Powder Measure. It is also possible to forget what the powder is and load something else with the wrong Powder by accident.

Suggeastion: Remove the plastic tube and cut off the part the Powder has deformed. Then invert the tube (so you have a nice square edge) and reattach. Or you can get a new tube from RCBS.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Jsut be glad you didn't accidentally load something else with it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it's not a good idea to leave powders in the dispenser, but I've never had this kind of problem before. Also, Lil'gun is the only ball powder that I'm currently using, so I'm not going to get it confused with something else.

Whoever said don't use Acetone, well, you don't have to worry about that. I'm well aware of the fact that it eats plastic.

Now, for the last suggestion, i.e. removing the tube and shortening it. The tube on my dispenser does not appear to be unscrewable. I don't know how it comes off, but it's on there real good. Almost looks like you're going to break it if you try to remove it. I think I'm just going to get in there and scrape it out rather than cut it off. I need the most powder capacity that I can get. With the way my 338/378 gulps down powder if I shorten the canister I'll have to refill it constantly during the loading process. I'll probably give RCBS a call too and see if they can send me another canister, if it is in fact removable.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've never had this problem either, what would soaking in hot water do? Or my favorite, helping to clean up after dinner then sneaking it into the dishwasher, make sure you select no heat dry.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As others have said, it happens w/ most DB powders. As far as leaving powder in the measure, I use removable labels & write the powder type on it, put it on the measure. When you change powders, change labels, it's pretty fool proof.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kingfisher, Just walked in to see what you were talking about on the RCBS Powder Measure< !--color--> and my current one is a Hornady< !--color-->!!! How`bout a group Duuuuuhhh for old Hot Core!

I used an RCBS Powder Measure for years and years, but now I remember it got broken by a Rookie about ten years ago and he just replaced it with a Hornady. I've gone right on using it and never gave it a second thought.

I remember now that the RCBS tube apparently is some kind of Injection Molded Plastic with a thin top and the whole thing is Green< !--color-->. So, the old "shorten the tube" idea is Full-of-Beans. (I suppose it would not be ethical for me to go back up there and say, "Rookie Green told me to say that!" ) It would work on a Hornady though because it is built totally different.

Anyway, I'd imagine RCBS can send you a new tube and explain all about how to "easily" remove the old one and put the new one on without a lot of hassle.

I'd not want little grains of Lil'Gun jumping off the tubing into another Load, but that is just me.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote