THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Dissapointing day at the range raises questions (204 Ruger)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dissapointing day at the range raises questions (204 Ruger)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

I've developed a good (over-book) load for My Ruger #1V in 204 Ruger with Hornady 32g and IMR 4198. Using RCBS necksiser and Hornady seating die. I check each load charge and OAL with a Precision Mic. They were capable of .5" at 100yds three weeks ago as well as all summer.

Yesterday I got frustrated watching the Packers loose again so I went to the range with some newly reloaded rounds from my new Wilson dies. I brought some of the aforementioned loadings and three others with different neck-bushing sizes to see if I could pick out a better load.

The trip was worthless.

My best group was .5" but most were well over an inch. I'm confused to say the least. Even the "control" loads were all over the place. I don't feel it was any windier than when I had shot before, just a lot colder.

I guess my questions pertains to IMR-4198. Is it temperature sensitive? That is the only thing that came to my mind. I shot this rifle three weeks ago and was having a ball touching hole to hole. Now it sucks.

Any suggestions would be great.

Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Them packers, last 4min. I started resizing more '06 brass.

Anyway, have you a clean barrel? Just how cold was it in Kentucky? If it wasn't less than 10degrees I would rule that out. Otherwise, that's just the shootin', some good days, some bad. Not sure if IMR4198 is temp sensitive or not. Benchmark isn't and is one of the better powders to try. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The change in temperature may very well be the problem.The colder temperature will change the burning rate and result in less velocity.That is why I check all of my loads in cold temperatures before accepting them as my hunting loads.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey, you should know you have to keep your ammo in your pocket, and warm, its was - 25 ish hear last lil while, and that will hurt most powders

Posts: 7 | Location: ruperts land | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing to consider is the Ruger #1 has a wooden stock and (In factory trim) is not free floated.

A little change in weather does funny things to wood.

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Favre has got to go!! He throws way too many interceptions. If he wasn't Brett Favre, he'd be on 3rd string.

Temperature was 27 F. Last time I shot was in the 50s.

The Ruger has a Hicks Accurizer and is free-floated (oxymoron, I know) for just this situation.

I just cleaned the barrel. However this rifle has never been dirty or hard to clean. I use Shooter Choice and Butches Bore shine and have yet to get green or blue after one "10 stroke" with patch, let sit for 5 minutes, wet patch again, then clean patches. I've inspected the bore with a flashlight and can see no signs of fouling.

I shot over 75 rounds at the range and could find no point when they started to shoot better. I don't think fouling was the problem.

I'm going to try Benchmark next.

I need to send them over a chrony. I got 4170fps at 62 degs and wish I would have had time on Sunday to set up, that may very well have given an answer.

Never really cared for the need to pick a load from summer to winter, hopefully Benchmark will make that unnecessary.

Thanks again,

Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the hells a Packer?

Yep Varget and the other Hodgdon "stick" (ADI) powders are supposed to be temp. un sensitive.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
What the hells a Packer?

Depends on yer location... in Wisconsin, it refers to meat. On the West cost I think it's fudge...

DUCK AND COVER!!! sofa

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glass bed it making sure that the barell is well floated could help , I think winter got you.

One of Us
Picture of EvilAdmin
posted Hide Post
No football jokes here.

What was the humidity % when you loaded up?

Posts: 92 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EvilAdmin,

I don't know my humidity, guess I'll get a gauge to find out, but I reload in my basement and it is dry down there. We have the furnace on and at the time of this reloading, the humidifier was not on. My guess would be 45-50%. What have you found regarding humidity that would cause you to ask this question? No one has asked me before.

bill r: How do you glass bed a Ruger #1? I have it floated with a Hicks Accurizer at the moment. One note, the Hicks did take my usual 1.25" groups down to .5" when I installed it last year.

Thanks everyone,
Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're getting just what you deserve for being a packer fan

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EvilAdmin
posted Hide Post
Jimno2506,

I do a TON of 22-250 reloads, my favorite cal. I have found that the loads I created in increased humidity did wierd things on the range,(87%+), using IMR 4198. Also affecting loads created with IMR 4895, but not as severe. I havn't tested the H380 yet, my local guy seems to be out of stock when I powder shop. Normally I plink at 200 yards and cover 3 shots with a dime, but in cooler weather I have to get the silver dollar out. Lately I have been watching the humidity % because I am doing everything right but my shooting is going to hell in the fall\winter. That is the only thing that has not been consistant. I am looking into these variables this season.

Posts: 92 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you're getting just what you deserve for being a packer fan

Hush you mouth!!!!

LOL,
Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
EvilAdmin,

I wouldn't expect H-380 to be tolerant of wide
temperature variations, either. In my .22-250,
H-380, put 50 gr. Vmax bullets into .3 MOA
groups, in 30 to 40 degree weather, and
then when re-tested in 85 degree weather,
the loads showed signs of pressure, and
opened up to over 1 MOA. I have since
started load development with Varget. I
have not experienced this problem, with
Varget in other chamberings, so I shall see
how it performs in the .22-250. I am going
to develop a H-380 load, in summer temps,
for summer colony varmints, to use up the
H-380, but when it is gone, I will be done with
it. I don't want to have to add a "temperature
range" category to my loads log book. thumbdown

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EvilAdmin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, Squeeze.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used IMR 4198 in low temps, lower than Kentucky normally gets.. and have not noticed any difference in accuracy.. I think the problem lies elsewhere....

Did you change brand of primers? the smaller the bore diameter seems to get, the more sensitive/crucial primers seem to be....

I look at temp sensitivity to be when temps get below zero or above 100 degrees....

Groups opening up to 1 inch from 1/2 an inch at the range my be disappointing for accuracy nuts... but is that going to make a real difference shooting at a coyote etc at 200 to 250 yds? some maybe in extreme distances... but not much at most SANE shooting distances....

beer
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that temperature is your problem. The IMR's are sensitive. IMR 4198 used the standard powder in Benchrest 222's. When the temp starts to drop, a lot of target shooters uped their loads a little to compensate. I don't recommend yo do that in your application. Try switching to Hodgdon 4198 as it is insensitive. Hodgdon's might be a little faster though, so back off a little to start.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I have used IMR 4198 in low temps, lower than Kentucky normally gets.. and have not noticed any difference in accuracy.. I think the problem lies elsewhere....

Did you change brand of primers? the smaller the bore diameter seems to get, the more sensitive/crucial primers seem to be....

I look at temp sensitivity to be when temps get below zero or above 100 degrees....

Groups opening up to 1 inch from 1/2 an inch at the range my be disappointing for accuracy nuts... but is that going to make a real difference shooting at a coyote etc at 200 to 250 yds? some maybe in extreme distances... but not much at most SANE shooting distances....

beer
seafire

I have always used Federal Gold Match 205M primers.

Last night I bought some Varget and Benchmark. I don't know if I'll use the Varget though, doesn't seem possible to get the velocity I was looking for, even with a compressed load.

Loaded five different loads with Benchmark and plan on trying them this weekend, it's supposed to be cold, and I'll bring the chrony for sure. I'll find out where the I4198 is in this temperature and go from there.

Thanks for all your help.

Jimno

Liberals make me puke.