New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .300 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this particular round and am still looking for a accurate long range target load. Sierras data, for the 175 SMK shows 66.5 grs of XMR 4350 as their accuracy load. Well NOT in my rifle it isn't! Sooo back to square 1. Anyone shooting this caliber have a good accuracy load?? Prefer the 175 SMK but am open to suggestions! I know to start low with any recommendations and work up.
Thanks in advance!

Sarge

I was a soldier * I am a soldier * I will always be a soldier
SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SargeRN:
I'm new to this particular round and am still looking for a accurate long range target load. Sierras data, for the 175 SMK shows 66.5 grs of XMR 4350 as their accuracy load. Well NOT in my rifle it isn't! Sooo back to square 1. Anyone shooting this caliber have a good accuracy load?? Prefer the 175 SMK but am open to suggestions! I know to start low with any recommendations and work up.
Thanks in advance!

Sarge

Sarge, Try 67-69grs. RE22 with WLR primer. Should give you under MOA out to 300yds. I've been using/loading 67grs. with 180 BTs and Interbonds for my brother-in-law and a buddy at work. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay, just want to clarify something here, you're saying Winchester STANDARD Large Rifle Primers and not Magnums?? Second post I've read using this primer/brass/powder set up. Guess I don't understand why folks are not using a magnum primer in a magnum round. Magnum primer "should" give better more reliable, consistant ignition in the large case.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you consider good and bad accuracy to be?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good accuracy is anything 1 MOA or less at 100yds. Bad is 3-4 MOA.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
SargeRN, I'll second the use of RL-22 in the 300 WSM. Some people like RL-19 better but I've had much better velocity and accuracy in a couple 300 WSM's with RL-22. One of my 300 WSM's gives best velocity and accuracy with Magpro and 180gr Failsafes.
I've had good accuracy results with 180gr Partitions, 180gr Accubonds and 180gr TSX's and even 180gr Failsafes. My good buddy PRDATOR, has shot extremely well with 168gr TSX's.
I've always used Federal GM-215M primers in the 300 WSM but it may be worth a try to go with a std rifle primer and see how it works. I think that the WSM case design may lead to more consistant ignition in and of itself and doesn't allways require the extra Brisance of a Magnum primer in all cases. I would check the data in the manual for the powder you are using and use whatever they suggest. Good Luck it usually is a very accurate round................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
with 175's:
RL-22 From 61.0 grains to 71.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

with 168's:
W-760 From 57.5 grains to 69.1 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

with 150's and 155's:
N-160 From 63.0 grains to 70.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Sarg,

You may have to lighten this up a little for 175's.

My best accuracy to date is IMR 4350 @ 62.5grains with a 168 gr, Nosler boat.
I'm using Norma brass and BR-2 primers.

If you do a round robin in this area I expect you will find something that works with your rifle.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys THANKS for all the help you've given me lots to ponder, although it looks like Rl 22 kind of wins this round! I'll give it a try and get back with you'all!

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Mine likes 55 grains Varget and 165NBT/168 SMK's, and 64 grains H4350 and 180 grain NBT's. WLRM primers, Win brass. I've not bothered with match prepping the brass, just load carefully and set the bullets right at (but not into) the lands. Both loads run .6-.75"@100 yards from my factory SS Win M70, length ends up around 2.95".

H414 (supposedly the same as W760) never shot for crap in my rifle. I haven't tried any of the Reloder powders...

4895 (H or IMR) worked with 150 grainers and H4831SC with 200 grainers, BTW, in case you are interested.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
sarge, I don't use magnum primers unless I'm loading well over 70 grains of powder. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well got some RL 22 and some 180gr SMK's we'll see. Heck if it doesn't like the 180's I already have the RL 22 so will try the 190's, will also try this with GM 210M which is my standard rifle primer.
BTW FWIW I've been around the net and a bunch of gun boards but I've been on VERY FEW that treat a new member as well as you'all do!! THANKS A LOT and if you're into long range and tactical shooting stop over to Sniper Country and have a look around think you'll enjoy! LOTS of different information there and some real "characters" on the "Duty Roster"! A lot of the tactical companies and organizations drop in, never know who you'll run into!

THANKS ALL I'll keep you up-dated.

Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
SargeRN:
quote:
you're saying Winchester STANDARD Large Rifle Primers and not Magnums?? Second post I've read using this primer/brass/powder set up.
There are several theories about magnum primers (I have a couple myself), but the books do say they increase pressure, so the max tends to be lower when using them. Historically, they're used for hard-to-ignite ball powder, and in the winter. For that reason, I rarely use Magnum primers. I might, for instance, if I owned a magnum-length action like a 300 H&H or a 375 H&H.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
BTW Sarge, What kind of rifle you shooting? Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge, I guess I'm the odd man out, but I have had great results with Win 760, CCI or Win LRM primers, and all bullet weights. I like 69 gr. with 168's and they really group for me, several different bullet types, with a coated pill I bump the charge up 2 or 3 grains.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay it's a Remington 700 SPS. REALLY like the new stocks they are using and the Limbsaver recoil pad, Remy calls it the R3!!! 7 1/2 pounds Badger 20 MOA rail Badger regular rings and a "Super Sniper" 10x40 fixed with mil-dots.This will eventualy get redone into a true long range rifle. Right now it's for some hunting and long target work.
Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
SargeRN,

My best combo so far in my 300WSM has been 66.5 Grns of R22 under the 180 NBTs, I tried a few 180 MKs but the NBTs shot much better in this particular rifle. That combo produces .6 consistently w/ a couple one ragged holers in there as well. R22 is a great powder in the WSM. W/ the lighter pills, H4831 has worked well.

Good Luck w/ your new toy.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SargeRN:
Jay it's a Remington 700 SPS. REALLY like the new stocks they are using and the Limbsaver recoil pad, Remy calls it the R3!!! 7 1/2 pounds Badger 20 MOA rail Badger regular rings and a "Super Sniper" 10x40 fixed with mil-dots.This will eventualy get redone into a true long range rifle. Right now it's for some hunting and long target work.
Sarge

Sarge, I've got an S/S model from "94" chambered in 7mm08, same rifle as the SPS only the SPSs have a "better" tupperware stock. I replaced it with a H-S Precision sporter stock. Great feel with the new stock, no matter what the Mcmillan lovers say. Not bedded, shoots great out to 300yds. You should've no problem getting that 300WSM to shoot, my 708 likes the BTs and MKs, course thats no help for your 300WSM.

BTW, Got the trigger adjusted on the SPS yet? Mines at 19-20oz., stock springs. Good luck to you. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys! One of the reasons I was hoping to find a good load using,originally the 175MK's is that is the bullet I use in my custom tactical, in .308, and because I buy them in 500 round boxes I've always got some around! As to the NBT's well still want to try something a litte cheaper because I do SHOOT A LOT!! and the NBT's could get a little pricey after a bit :-) Jay yeah the HS stocks are nice but for now may just open the barrel channel just a bit to be sure the barrel isn't touching the stock anyplace then when time comes will send it to GA Precision in Kansas City MO and have George work on it. Will probably replace the barrel with something between the current sporter barrel diameter and the heavy barrel on my tactical rig. Will still use it for hunting but want the heavier barrel for some good long range work! BUT don't need a 13 lb, which is what my tac rig weighs, for hunting!
Anyway Thanks all for the help GREAT BOARD!! will keep you'all posted!
Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
SargeRBN -

Try Nosler seconds...I've shot hundreds of them and have found no difference in accuracy vs. factory first products.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan, Thank You Sir those are good prices on Noslers!
Sarge

SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the WSM case design may lead to more consistant ignition in and of itself and doesn't allways require the extra Brisance of a Magnum primer in all cases. I would check the data in the manual for the powder you are using and use whatever they suggest. Good Luck it usually is a very accurate round................DJ

That has been my theory, the short fat powder column gives a broader "backend" to the powder charge. I use ONLY standard force primers in my Browning a-bolt. Also the burning speed of most of the powders used in this round aren't all that hard to ignite. Also, none of the powders I've settled on are ball powders.

I have had some good results with reloAder 19 behind the 190 SMK. I never got a chance to shoot them at the 600 shoots, but they ran 3/4 to 7/8 inch at 100. My hunting load uses H-4831SC, 71.0 under a 165 interbond. It shoots.560 groups at 3043 fps.

I never could get 760 to work either! It certainly is NOT capable of top velocity, it's too fast, runs into pressure.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting 168 gr TSX's with H4350. I'm getting good accuracy and a bit over 3100 FPS with 67.5 grs and a CCI magnum primer.
My rifle is a Browning Abolt

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote