THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    If You Load Your Own, You Have to See This Blow up.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Load Your Own, You Have to See This Blow up.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nasty blowup, but still short of the one reported two years in a M1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. That one crystallized the action and tore metal. We are still looking for the culprit in that one, and the owner has clammed up. Maybe he was reloading with Bullseye.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2 powder measures are infinitely accurate they're OHAUS Mod 7200 DU-O-MEASURES with a single drum for pistol and rifle.I still use a scale to check them especially when using extruded powder,with flake or ball they drop accurate charges but checking them is required..We had a gun club member who hot loaded everything ,one time I made a mistake and followed his rec while loading at the firing bench using unique had a hard time opening a martini cadet and when I did the primer fell out of the brass and everything was black,never took his advice again.He blew up many handguns and rifles but he continued to overload everything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an electronic scale and weigh all my rifle powder charges.
Then on hunting ammo, especially DG ammo I weigh the finished round, as well as try each one in the rifles chamber.

I have even been known to weigh factory rounds that I will use for DG.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing.

I load a lot of '06 with 22 grains of 4759. I have always been afraid of an overcharge, so here is what I do:

After charging the block, I take a gauge (a pencil with the tip flattened, and a line marked on it) and drop it into every case, and see that the line is close to the case mouth.

You could make one for a 270 out of some dowel rod.