New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Premium bullet for 7mm?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This year I'm thinking about trying one of the high end bullets.Right now I'm considering the Speer Grand slam and Barnes' TSX.These will be used for deer and hopefully a black bear.I'll be loading them for both 7x57 and.280.Shots will likely be under 100 yds but I also plan to hunt my friends camp where shots could reach to around 350yds.I haven't decided on a particular weight yet but likely in the 150-160gr range.For powder I haveIMR4350,IMR4358,RL19.RL22 and Vargit Any opinions welcome.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 7x57 and 280 Remington I would most likely go with the 140 grain Barnes TSX. You will be able to get a little more velocity with that bullet weight and still have plenty of weight retention for penetration.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mine choice is far from a premium but for me it's hard to beat.

Nosler Accubond

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm currently shooting 140 gr Nosler Partitions out of my 7mm-08.

If I were looking at additional bullets, I would look at the 140 gr Nosler Accubond and the 140 gr Barnes TTSX bullet.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine choice is far from a premium but for me it's hard to beat.

Nosler Accubond

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that for deer and black bear at ranges of 150 yds, just about any decent bullet would do. Its always fun to try new stuff though. I'm now loading the Barnes TTSX in 140 in my 7Mag. I plan on using it for mule deer at semi long range. These new triple shocks shoot SO much better than the old X bullets.

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The perfomance window of the 7x57 and .280 do not require any bonded or magic bullets. My furtherest shot ever on a head of BG (less than 400yards) was with a .280 and a 150gr Core Lokt bullet.
That said, usually when I traveled to hunt, I would use a Partition or Grand Slam(old style) in 140-150gr weight. That was for mulies and antelope.
No bullet is gonna make up for shoddy marksmanship so I'm gonna cast my vote for the Hornady 154gr C&C bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The 160gn Woodleigh PP is the premiumest bullet in my book for the 7x57 and run at 2700fps over 46gn H4350 will get it done every time.
Have a look at this video clip of penetration and expansion testing of the 160gn Woodleigh at 2400 and 2900fps and the 2700 I run it at is about ideal. Hat tip to Code 4 - Topheti for the Vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=2&feature=plcp

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
The 160gn Woodleigh PP is the premiumest bullet in my book for the 7x57 and run at 2700fps over 46gn H4350 will get it done every time.
Have a look at this video clip of penetration and expansion testing of the 160gn Woodleigh at 2400 and 2900fps and the 2700 I run it at is about ideal. Hat tip to Code 4 - Topheti for the Vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=2&feature=plcp

Bit of discussion here - http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=1#Post196029

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NorthFork IMO are the best prem bullets,
I shoot a 7mm Remington Mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!I have never had a problem with regular bullets like Rems core lock but I pass on shots with the deer running away.I think if I took a shot like that where I had to drive the bullet through most of the length of the deer I'd be better off with the added penetration something like the Grand Slam offers.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The perfomance window of the 7x57 and .280 do not require any bonded or magic bullets.

This has been my opinion also; if you desire to use a premium bullet in these two cartridges; please do so but you'll get bullets that work just as well in 100 count boxes instead of 50's.

Since you're obviously really wanting to try the Speer Grand Slams - go for it, they're a good bullet.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got into a smokin' deal on 160 gr. 7MM Grand Slams. any suggested loads?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
160gr Partition for my 7Mag and 140 E-tip for my 7mm-08. Although I will be going to 139grain SSTs for my 7mm-08 as the E-tip really eats up a lot of case capacity.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I use the 162gr SST in my 7rum and it works great.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
The perfomance window of the 7x57 and .280 do not require any bonded or magic bullets.

+2 (Also thx Von Gruff for the acknowledgement )

I own a 7x57 and 7mmRM and have been using a variety of projectiles in each on game (feral camels, red deer and pigs) and on the range. I also have a mate with a .280 who has hunted the NZ Alps. I have found there is a very wide spectrum of terminal performance with 7mm projectiles. I have been caught with projectiles made for 7 magnum velocitys in my 7x57.

You mentioned 350 yards. There is a massive difference in impact velocity from my 7x57 at 100 yards compared to 250 yards. (The longest shot I've taken) I have also been caught with fast opening projectiles at close range (125 yards) in the 7mmRM. Make sure you study impact as well as muzzle velocity in relation to the design 'envelope' of the projectile you choose. There is no magic 'one does all' answer.

1) For long range the 7x57 will work very well with high SD & BC conventional projectiles like the Sierra 175's. In field observations note they 'carry' very well and don't drop as much as paper ballistics may indicate.

2) At low mv at ranges under 200 yards a 'soft' premium 140 will work like an Accubond, Interbond or a conventional 154/160. If you get similar (higher) muzzle velocity from your 7x57 like Von Gruff, then the 160 Woodleigh will work very well.

My mate with the .280 hunted Tahr (150-200lbs) with 140 Woodleighs in the NZ Alps at a MV of approx 2,900fps and it worked very well.

My rifle is more accurate with heavy for calibre projectiles and I am leaning towards 175 Sierras or 154 Hornady Interlocks for everything in Oz or 160 Woodleighs for game over 300 lbs.

Good luck.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
Thanks all!I have never had a problem with regular bullets like Rems core lock but I pass on shots with the deer running away.

The ONLY time to shoot a deer in the ass is on a cold, windy day when you've got a couple of kids along to do the dressing. Frowner

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
Thanks all!I have never had a problem with regular bullets like Rems core lock but I pass on shots with the deer running away

My take on 'a premium' bullet is probably a little different to some. I like a bullet that gives top velocity, top accuracy, comes in boxes of 100 for same cost as those 50 boxes (yes a bit of scot blood somewhere), and knocks them down so they do not run away. That has been and always will be a Sierra GK for me everytime.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle I have been using Sierra 140gr GK's since I got into loading a few years back.Before that mostly Rem CL factory loads.With the 7x57 the 175gr round nose shot the best and by far the easiest to find.It also shot well with Norma's 150 gr load.The .280 shoots amazing with Feds 150gr load and pretty good with the 140 gr Sierra reloads I've tried so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should try the Nosler partition.
I shoot the 140 grain in my 7x57 when needed.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favourite premium bullet for my 7mm Rem or STW is the North Fork followed very closely by the Nosler Partition or Accubond and then the Barnes TSX. The one that your barrel likes best would be the way to go., with you have no worries as to performance. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
You should try the Nosler partition.
I shoot the 140 grain in my 7x57 when needed.

Those would probably shoot well enough in the .280 but both shoot better with 150gr and heavier.Especially so with the 7x57.It's an older Ruger 77.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
160 gr Accubond

High ballistic coefficient
High sectional density
Front fragmentation
Rear bonding for penetration
Less expensive (than most)

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really depends on game your shooting. Last Spring my kids killed several blk bear at our stand with 6.8, 110 TTSX; bears went 20 yards collapsed.

I have always used 160 Nosler Partitions in my 7 mag for moose and always find bullet inside hide on back side; all that power stayed inside the moose; have killed around 20 bulls over the last 20 some years. Yet with caribou, noslers Partitions go right on through and out the other side.

For deer & bear, I'd find the most accurate bullet outta your own gun; don't need alot.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot nothing but 140gr TSX in my 7mm-08. Extremely accurate, great penetration, what's not to like?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm08 & a 280 AI. I tend to hunt with 150 gr TSX or 160 gr Accubonds. I have had great results on deer out to 350 meters. Complete pass through with bone. Most deer DRT or within 20 meters.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I'll try the Barnes first.Their length should be to the liking of the 7x57.The .280 isn't as fussy.