New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Ackley?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to convert my 30-06 Rem 700 to an Ackley Improved. I see that dies are kinda limited as to what's available. I was wondering of I could use my 30-06 Springfield Lee Collet die for the Ackley and maybe my Forster Bench Rest Seater as well?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the '06 AI, I'd use the Redding full sizer die and have your Forester bench-rest seater die reamed out with the 'O6 AI reamer by your gunsmith, when he makes your '06 AI. That's what I did, and all works very well. Regards, NW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve

i don't know why you think that 06 Improved dies are hard to come by since Midway sells at least two brands.

But, Ackley Improved User's recommendation is a good one provided your gunsmith does not charge you more than the price of a new seater die.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve

The Lee website says you can, click on "Dies and Die Questions" and then on "Ackley Improved".

I use a 280 rem Lee Collet for my 280AI and it works great.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Steve

i don't know why you think that 06 Improved dies are hard to come by since Midway sells at least two brands.

Ray

I guess it is because all of the die sets I have seen are just the plain old standard dies. I am a big fan of Forster Bench Rest Dies, the Lee Collet Dies and the Redding Type S Bushing Dies. None of these are available in the Ackley.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey Steve

The Lee website says you can, click on "Dies and Die Questions" and then on "Ackley Improved".

I use a 280 rem Lee Collet for my 280AI and it works great.

Thank's That's what I needed to know.