Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Winchester Loads for Hunting Mullies
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to the reloading world and have been reading this forum for a while now to learn as much as I could and now I would like to ask for some assistance with getting under 1 MOA with Nosler Partition 150g bullets.

I have a custom made 270 Winchester with a Mauser Action and a Douglas Supreme barrel. The twist rate is 1 in 10 and with the 150g Partition, the lands are at 2.8840� inches off the bolt face. The barrel is glass bedded and I can easily slip a 1$ bill down the length of the barrel between it and the stock.

I�m using both Winchester Brass and Remington brass and have measured the case capacity to be 67.6 grains of H2O and 67.1 gains of H20. I�ve been using RE 19 and RE 22 loads and have measured the Specific Gravity of each to be 0.928 and 0.939 respectively.

I�ve tried loads of RE22 ranging from 55g to 59g in 1g increments and a cartridge overall length of 3.325� and have not been able to get anything under 1 MOA. Perhaps my COAL is too short.

I have bought some factory ammunition (Remington Express w/150g Core Lokt - $15 a box) that shoot 1 MOA at 100yards and I�m beginning to wonder if this reloading thing is a waste of time but the enthusiasm on this site makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone recommend a load for RE 22 and a C.O.A.L using the 150g Nosler partition or do I need to try a new powder (or hopefully not) a different bullet. I like the design of the Partition for medium size game hunting at ranges to 400 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try seating the bullets closer to the lands. A little change in seating depth can make a big difference. I doubt that the bullets are the problems but it is possible. If changing the seating depth doesn't work, then I'd try a different powder like Hogdon or IMR 4831. Good luck.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of things can effect accuracy...Perhaps this particular barrel would prefer to be bedded 3 point or tight as opposed to free floated...

A pretty well proven .270 load over the years is 58 grs. of H4831..it will work in most .270s....

Sometimes a certain bullet or powder will not shoot in a particular rifle...However most guns I have owned will shoot or won't shoot..I don't want a finicky rifle that I have to toy with....

I think you need to establish the bedding in your rifle and then glass bed your rifle to those specs...

Since your new to reloading have the gun itself checked out by a good smith, let him get it to shooting and give you a proper load...

I have always foung Noslers to be excellent bullets, but perhaps your gun wants the 130 gr. bullet, thats the bullet that made the .270 famous anyway and it sure works...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a rule with my guns Partitions have not shot as well as other bullets. My .270 will shoot Hornady 150 grn pills near .5moa all day long, with the partition it holds just over 1moa. Going to give some Accubonds a try this weekend.

H4831SC and IMR4350 are often used for the .270 and work well for me.

I'm a Hornady fan so I would suggest if they shoot better than partions use them. The muley won't care what hit him, he'll be dead.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote