Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 416 Rigby Seater Plug Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted
I am using RCBS dies to reload my 416 Rigby. I was loading RN bullets and switched to Noslers and Swift A-Frames in preparation for my hunt this fall. The seater plug that came with the dies mushroomed the lead tips of the spitzer bullets. I contacted RCBS and to their credit they sent me a spitzer seater plug for free. This plug, however, is .3" shorter than the plug that came with the dies and was too short to use the locking nut. In fact, it had to be screwed below the top of the die to work. RCBS said this was the only plug available for the 416 spitzer bullets. I know I am not the only person loading Swift A-frames in the 416 Rigby using RCBS dies. How have other people addressed this problem? RCBS did offer to make a custom plug for a pretty nominal fee, but I am surprised that they don't offer the correct plug. Thanks. Confused

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 126 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that as the .416 Rigby of old used a round nosed bullet that this has come to be accepted as the norm in recent years, then onto the scene have arrived the long ogived X; TSX et al bullets all of which have different ogive shapes, that it may be difficult for makers RCBS to continue to provide a one size does all die set.

The quality of RCBS dies has IMO always been very high and their willingness to make out of the ordinanry itmes a real strong point, I understand your thoughts however. In the meantime I would take them up on their offer and send them a few of your chosen bullets and ask they make exactly what you need, for a nominal cost this has got to be better than a compromise set up.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to seat to the canalure, or to the proper OAL for the rigby? The last I looked Nosler places the canalure in the correct place for a 416rem, which is seated deeper than the Rigby is.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Interesting phenomenon. I load TSXs Hornady RNs (softs and solids) and A Frames and never encountered the problem and I have two sets of RCBS dies. How old (or new) are your dies? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
My dies were purchased new in 2005 and I am seating and crimping to the cannelure with OAL of 3.63-3.65", which seem to shoot pretty well in my Ruger RSM. I will go ahead and send some bullets to RCBS but I was just curious what others had done in the same situation. I will also try to load to the 3.75" length which I believe is standard for the Rigby. Tailgunner- I assume you use the Lee crimping die to crimp if you are not crimping into the cannelure? Thanks for all you help. Brian

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Redding dies for my .416 with no problems pertaining to the bullet seater....round nose or spitzers.... BTW, that Lee factory Crimp die is the best $25 you will spend for your Rigby. I found it next to impossible to crimp the Rigby using standard dies without crushing the shoulder in a little. The Lee factory crimp die fixed that quick!

One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I am sending off a dummy round to Lee this week to get my crimp die made. I will also send my $17.95 off to RCBS along with 3 A-Frames to have a custom seater plug made. It's much less than buying Redding dies!

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS