New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casing Resizing Question ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am resizing Remington premier safari grade 375 H&H they have a crome finish. When I resize them theres about a 1/8 of a inch right at the base of the shell that has the chrome scuff off and you can see the brass color. I am using Lee dies and a RCBS press is this normal or am I doing something wrong ? Bill

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Probably not. Lee dies are chpea for a reason. The 375h&h has quite a bit of taper & the very bottom of the die may have some scratches in it. You can try to polish the die w/ some 000 steel wool or 600grit sandpaper on a wood dowel or send it back to Lee. It shouldn't scratch the nickle off thae case IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a rough die scraping the pressure ring of the brass, but you may be running your cases into the die deeper than necessary. Try backing the die off of the shellholder about .05" and resizing a fired case (be sure the case is properly lubricated). See if the case reenters the rifle chamber without excessive resistance, and if not screw the die down closer to touching the shellholder in small increments.

If you will adjust your resizing die in this manner (sometimes called "partial full length sizing") which resizes just enough for the case to easily reenter the chamber, it will make for longer case life.

Of course it is possible that you have a "maximium" size chamber and a "minimum" size die. Sometimes die and chamber dimensions are not fully compatible with one another and the only solution is to try another set of dies.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some will tell you that it is the nature of nickel-plated brass to scuff and flake. However, I would go ahead and polish the die; if it's a Lee it needs it. (Flitz on a bore mop also works.) If you believe that your die has a tight dimension, just buy another Lee (they're inexpensive); chances are good that it won't be the same as what you have. stir

Be sure that your cases are lubed all the way down. You may be experiencing galling. Material that has accumulated inside of the die will have to be removed (by polishing and/or solvents).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Polishing the die opening edge radius may help. You might have an oversize chamber though and the over expanded brass will tend to to do this. Imperial sizing wax can help too.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote