New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case capacity info needed.
 Login/Join

<PrimeTime>
posted
I would like to get the maximum case capacity in grains of powder, for the following cases.

6-5-06
6.5-06 Improved
7mm Rem SAUM
300WSM

I was hoping maybe someone could get the info from Quickload or a manual as I do not have any literature that gives these specs. This would be a great help to me in a current project.

Keep your lines wet and your powder dry.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
From Barnes #1:

.284: 64.59
6.5/06: n/a, 2506 is 65.03
6.5/06 imp: n/a. Minimal enlargement, I suppose
7 Rem Mag: 83.19
300 WSM: n/a

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<PrimeTime>
posted
Dutch-
Thanks for the response. Is that the water capacity of the entire case or the max usable powder capacity?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Sorry, doesn't say. Would assume total capacity to the top of the case. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<William E. Tibbe>
posted
Primetime:

Full case capacities upto top of neck.

.284 Winchester--------------64.59 water grains
6.5-06 Springfield-----------62.82
6.5-06 Ackley Imp.-----------66.93
7mm Rem Ultra Mag.-----------111.3
.300 Winchester Short Mag----83

The 7mm Rem U.M. and .300 Winchester Ultra Mag are calculated values determingd by inputting case diameters and there could be some slight variation from Remingtons and Winchesters published values. However, taking into account the variations in internal volumes of cases from other manufacturers, the values should be adequate.

The net case capacities vary depending on whose bullet is seated and it's length.

Kendall

<bobshawn>
posted
To All Concerned __
Total cartridge case internal volume (Vt) is useful in comparing one cartridge to another. It's nice to know but has little other value. To put Vt to work, a couple of things need to be done. First, grain weight (gr.) of water is not a measure of volume. A helpful conversion factor is: 1.0 gr. H2O = 0.00395 cubic inches (cu. in.). Using the above example for the 284 Winchester: 64.59 gr. H2O = 0.255 cu. in. = Vt.

We still haven't done much. As noted in a previous post, the case volume available for gunpowder (Va) is a function of the bullet volume (Vb) seated in the case. Vb depends on the length of the bullet (Lb), the overall length of the cartridge (COL), and the trimmed length of the cartridge case (Lc).

(Eq. 1) Hence: Seating depth (SD) = Lb - (COL - Lc).

(Eq. 2) Hence: Vb = * x r x r x SD Where r = 1/2 the bullet diameter.

(Eq. 3) Hence: Va = Vt - Vb cu. in.

Using the 284 Winchester example and a Hornady 120 gr. JSP (flat base) bullet (Lb = 1.14 in.) and Hornady case dimensions (COL = 2.950, Lc = 2.160):

(Eq.1) and (Eq.2) result in Vb = 0.022 cu. in.

(Eq. 3) results in Va = 0.233 cu. in.

If IMR 3031 is the selected gunpowder, with a bulk density of 220 gr./cu. in., a charge weight (Wc) of 51.3 gr. results in 100% Fill (Wc = BD x Va).

A modicum of validity is offered for this approach by referring to published data for nearly identical conditions. Hornady shows a charge weight (Wc) of 48.0 gr. getting a muzzle velocity (MV) of 3100 feet per second (fps); Speer 51.0 gr. = 3154 fps MV; and Lyman shows 2932 fps MV with 45.0 gr. Calculating MV per grain weight of gunpowder, the respective values become 64.6 fps/gr.,61.8 fps/gr., and 65.2 fps/gr. The differences are within expections considering the more than probable variations in the test procedures and cartridge configurations used by each producer.

It is also observed that the muzzle energy (E) per grain weight of gunpowder (E/gr.) factor is 53.5 ft-lb/gr., 52.1 ft-lb/gr., and 51.1 ft-lb/gr. respectively; again within expectations.

So... does all this "glop" mean anything? ("glop" being defined as the result of [bleep] hitting the fan.) Well, not really. But it does show that we can estimate useful data using information available to all of us to simply answer questions that our publications and softwares do not answer. Wildcat cartridges, the newer cartridges with limited available data, and the older black-powder cartridges converted to modern gunpowders come to mind.

With respect to volume, 0.001 cu. in. sounds like a very small, insignificant amount. However, the number represents a cube 1/10 inch per side. Not a comfortable thing to have in one's shoe. Given that 1/10 the cube can hold maybe nine tubular granules of gunpowder weighing maybe 0.3 gr., the small number becomes important as we approach maximum pressures.

Your patience is appreciated.

Good shooting.

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobshawn:
First, grain weight (gr.) of water is not a measure of volume. A helpful conversion factor is: 1.0 gr. H2O = 0.00395 cubic inches (cu. in.).

A very interesting quote. My wife claims to have been useing 'fluid ounces' (volume of one ounce of water) for a volume measurement for many years. Best I not tell her she can't do that unless I wish to do my own cooking.

Further, this is the first claim that I have heard that you can convert a non-volume measurement to a volume measurement? I would think it possible to convert grains of water (ie. fluid grains) to cubic inches only if both were the measurement of the same thing.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<William E. Tibbe>
posted
Yes, weight of water is directly convertible to volume of water. Water is the standard from which everything else is measured. Specific gravity = 1.0

This becomes readily apparent in the metric system ( which is the official USA standard of measurement ) where 1 liter of water weighs one kilogram.

Kendall

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
If you would like to be accurate, you must specify temperature

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
.... and altitude, and barometric pressure! Dutch.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
And humidity maybe and ammount of oxygen and other gases and solids dissolved in water

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and one must not fart in the reloading room, least it change the specific gravity of the humidity in relation to the geometric altitude...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote