New
Find
Notify
Tools

new loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For someone like myself who reloads almost every day and loves to read reloading manuals, I am surprised by the number of people who come here looking for a load for their new rifle. I would think you would be better off starting with a printed recipe. Is it just me?
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not just you, when I give out data it's taken directly from the manual produced by their bullets (of choice) manfacture, along with the advise to start low and work up slow.
I think a lot of it stems from being A) to cheep to purchase the manuals, and B) to the desire for "instant perfection" rather than spending the bench (loading and shooting) time finding what their rifle prefers.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, I agree with your assessment.

The problem they don`t seem to understand is there is no one perfect load. The load they get on the net may or may not work well, but they seem to believe someone has the "mother of all loads" and it`s theirs just for asking.

They seem to over look that everyone is telling them they have experiment on their own. They need to realize the data they get on the web from "Joe blow" maybe only worth exactly what they paid for it.

The best places` on the web for data are the manufactures sites. If they need data right now, or just can`t find, or afford the manuals it is the best place to look or ask. The data is proven safe and theirs for no charge. Most have a E-mail addy that they can ask questions or request unposted data.

As to whether or not it lists the best load for their rifle is up to their rifle to tell them.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do experiment a bit to find a load that I like then I load only one load for each rifle.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I just got my 257 AI from my smith. Ive got a pretty good idea of what might work well and what direction to go in and several data sources, but Ill still ask for some input when I begin to develop loads for it. At this point Ive never shot it and I welcome opinions from those who do have experience with that round. Nothing wrong with that, and usually if there is a majority that favors a specific powder that will tell you something and Im all for saving myself a lot of grief as opposed to getting there the hard way.

[ 07-06-2003, 03:13: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take side of the guy asking for a load sugestion. I over the years have collected lots of manuals and I find them to be questionable at times (although fun to look at). Powders change, primers do too, so which manual do I use for that? When I look through different manuals the loads vary so much. Which do you chose? Some are downright dangerous.
I think it's a good thing learning from someones experience. I think they call it apprentiship.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Myself I would not use Load Data just because Somebody Said it was Good,always back it up with the Load Data form the Manuals.However Asking the Load other's use in perticular Caliber and Gun, may help one to Narrow down the "Powders" that may work the best.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like to consult older load manuals printed before lawyers rules the industry. Yeah some loads are hot by todays standards, but then a knowledgable handloader works his way up, if he questions anything.

I posted a thread on Old Reloading manuals and a lot of people jumped all over the idea. Since many of the same powders are still around, I use them like new manuals, AS A POINT OF REFERENCE, not gospel. I experience that some loads from new manuals are too hot in some of my rifles and then a hot load from the same manual is underloaded in the same rifle. Makes no sense, but it is what I have seen on a consistent basis.

Versatility and experimentation is why we handload isn't it??
[Confused] [Wink] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have probably a dozen manuals but it never hurts to ask what others are having succes w/. I was looking for a good 160gr load when I 1st put my .280 together & several of the guys suggested 7828. I tried a couple of other powders but the 7828 has been the best to date for accuracy & vel.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have more manuals than I need and I'm sure that I will buy more in the future, I just like to read them. I also like to talk about reloading and therefore I also like to ask questions about what other people are doing. Then take all the info you can comeup with and safely experiment and do "field research".

For me the magic load is all the ideas that run around in my head when I'm daydreaming about pulling my hair out over some small inconsistency in a load.

There are no forums that can answer those questions but they sure are fun to talk about.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
shayne, you're absolutely correct!! Some people are obviously looking for the path of least resistance. But then, they miss out on a lot that way!! [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me again,
Most of the time when I see the "load needed" questions, it seems to be from someone that has just taken up reloading in the last week (won a press and dies on e-bay, "I can use these 30-30 dies to reload for my 30-06?" can't I?). That has never looked at a manual bucause they cost so much. Want's to know how we devide a kernal of powder into such small increments, because he's getting eye strain counting out the whole "grains" of powder. Thinks that his tape measure should be just as good as a caliper. Wants to know how to make IPSC major with his new (used) 25auto Jennings. Can't understand why you shouldn't use fmj's in a 94 Winchester. Wants a load that will yeild 26" 300Wby velocities out of a 20" 308Win rifle. Etc, etc.
I try to offer what help I can in their edcuational process.
You, and I, can tell the difference between the "just started" and the "been reloading for 40 years, and just got a new caliber, need ideas" posters by the nature of there questions and previous posts.
My comments at the top of this thread are more about the "New to reloading" people, than the "BTDT wore out the T-shirt reloaders".

[ 07-06-2003, 20:12: Message edited by: Tailgunner ]

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote