New
Find
Notify
Tools

TiteGroup?
 Login/Join

Picture of Crimp
posted
In my never-ending quest to reduce the powders I need to buy, I'm looking at using Hodgdon's TiteGroup to replace:
a. Hodgdon HS6 used for my .45 ACP
b. Alliant 2400 used for my .357 Magnum.

Anyone familiar enough with TiteGroup to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about doing this?

Posts: 13 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have been using Tight Group in 357 & 45acp for several years now.The accuracy is good and its not position sencetive.I use it mostly for cast bullets but also works good with jacketed bullets.TG is not going to give you the highest vel. like some of the other powders especialy in the .357. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it in 45 Colt and 357. Will start using it in 38 Special and 7.62 x 25 when I run out of Bullseye.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Titegroup is way faster then the powders you want to replace with it, more like Bullseye in burn rate. I use and like it in my 45 acp, but it is more of a target/midrange load choice in this cartridge and would not give even close to the velocity you get with 2400 in the 357. If you omly want plinking/target loads it is great. If you may want full power loads, especially in the 357 mag you need something slower

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use it in target loads for 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 38 special. Works well.

formerly firemanjim registered Mar 2002

Posts: 37 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Crimp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Titegroup is way faster then the powders you want to replace... If you omly want plinking/target loads it is great...

Thanks for the info, guys.

It seems I always end up with a lot of powder residue with the .357/2400 combination. I'm thinking if I can get a clean-burning 1200 fps with a 125 gr JHP and TiteGroup in a 4", I'll be real happy - and save a lot of powder too! I also have a 2" S&W 60 and load light for it because of recoil. Sounds like the TG ought to go real well with it.

I loaded up some groups and am waiting for it to quit raining so I can go try them out...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Titegroup in a lot of mild .44 magnum loads for cowboy action shooting. It worked very well. I also have loaded it in my 9mm Glock and it works well with 115 gr JHP bullets. While it certainly won't come close to the velocity potential of 2400 or W296 in the .357 Mag, it should provide decent mid range performance in the .357 and should excel with cast bullets around 900 fps.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It would work but replace 2400 in your .357mag, I don't think so unless you just want plinking loads. Unique or Universal or even HS6 for both would be bette than TG IMO.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crimp -
I shoot Tightgroup in my 9mm (my son too) for practical pistol practice and competition. We shoot around 5,000 rounds per year. It's accurate, cheap, and clean in my target loads. - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Crimp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers. Here's some results I got with TiteGroup:

Ruger P345 .45 ACP
185gr Berrys HBRN with 5.3gr TiteGroup: 800fps

Ruger GP-100 4" .357 Magnum
125gr Berrys FP with:
6.8gr TG: 1255fps
7.2gr TG: 1302fps
7.5gr TG: 1350fps

S&W 60 2" .357 Magnum
125gr Berrys FP with:
6.8gr TG: 980fps
7.2gr TG: 1050fps
7.5gr TG: 1075fps

I have to agree, TG makes a good light/medium round but doesn't replace the power of HS6 in the 45 or 2400 in the 357. Still, it makes a pleasant-shooting plinking round for practice with the S&W snub nose.

I think fredj338 has the answer to my original question: use HS6 for both the 45 and 357s.

Thanks again for your input.