New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Partner Press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking about starting reloading and was wondering if this press be good for a .300 RUM. My biggest concern is if it is tall enough. Thanks.

Posts: 32 | Location: Loveland, Colorado | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Go for the Rock Chucker.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I've had a RockChucker and it is a fine press.

However, I've loaded way more than a thousand .375 H&H Magnums on a RCBS Partner press. No problems with the length (or leverage) at all. I haven't checked the OAL of hte RUM, but I don't think it is any longer.

Unless you are reforming cases from one calibre to another (which does require more leverage), you won't have any problem with the RCBS Partner. Plus, even if you did damage the RCBS Partner, RCBS would just replace it for you anyway! Great service.

You could always get the cheap press and spend the difference in price on more powder!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno if it's tall enough, but I've been using a Partner for my 270 and 223 and don't have any complaints. Years ago, I owned a Rockchucker, which certainly had more 'power', but not enough to notice, unless you're doing major reshaping of cases. For 'run of the mill' stuff, the Partner's fine.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a little partner press I bought second hand and I intend to set it up with a universal decapping die and leave it that way.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a partner press, it is a nice little press, but
I don't think it has enough leverage for sizing large
cases I use mine for priming and assembly of ammo.
Somtimes for a few pistol cases with a carbide die.
Otherwise my Rockchucker is used for all sizing.
By the way, I have an old Pacific press to give to
some young newbie in the reloading game, free just pay
shipping. I changed the ram to take standard shellholders
the handle was missing so I turned one from an old Mauser
barrel. It is old but apears to have been used very little
is very tight. has the auto primer feed but missing the
tubes. I think RCBS tubes will work.
It is somthing to start with, has enough leverage to
size any normal cases.
Let me know if you want it.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yuman; I would be interested in the press. I have a lee press, the white metal one. Have reloaded a little for several years. Thought of using it for depriming. Thank You.

Posts: 25 | Location: ME. | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have the little Lee press that I only use for
decapping with a Lee universal decapper. The press
discharges the spent primers inside the press body
so I drilled a hole in the bench under the press
and fastened a small glass jar under the hole
to catch spent primers. If you want the press. let
me know where to send it. Probably about ten bucks
to ship it. It is a real strong press, second only
to somthing like the rockchucker.
My e-mail addy is in my profile.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice press for the money. Nothing it will not do that is routine, but if you really get into reloading (and you probably will once you get going!), you might want something heavier like the Rockchucker. Another great option is the Redding Boss. If cost is a factor, these things frequentlt go on sale online, just browse around a bit.

cheers

posted Hide Post
Yuman; I tried an email, it was returned due to your spam filter. Will try a private msg. Thanks

Posts: 25 | Location: ME. | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote