Find
Notify
Tools

7mm rem mag load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I am looking for some load data using a few different powders. I was able to clean out a store that is going out of buisness and a got a bunch of rel 25, rel 15, Acc 2460, Acc 2520, and whole lot of bullets. I am trying to come up with a load for 130 and 145 gr speer BTHPs.
I also have varget, 4831sc, 414, h380 on hand if you think thes will do the job better. I bought about 5 lbs of each of the above powders, so those are the ones I would really like to use.

Thanx,
Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stick with 4831 or RL-25

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the 4831sc with results I was not too happy with. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2" groups. Do you have a starting point for the re25 with 130 and 145 gr speer SPBTs?

Thanx,
Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Alliant data. They have a couple of Speer bullets listed. They also list for RL19 and RL22.

I'm not as familiar with the Accurate powders, but I think of the ones you list 4831 and RL25 are the only choices for a 7mm Rem Mag.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use the bullets you do, I load Nosler or Barnes for hunting, but for me reloading the 7mmRemMag begins and ends with RL22.

But then again I also load only 120's or 140's

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i do not show a load in my books for RL-25.. H-4831 with 140s is 64 max. maybe your gun dont like the speer. try the sierra 140s or 150s i like the 4831s IMR and H-

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark,

Not familiar with Reloader 25 but according to Quick Load ought to be a suitable powder for the 7mm Rem Mag.

I've always used H4831SC beacuse it's what I can obtain and so far has done very well for me in the 7mm Rem Mag with 120 (Barnes), 139 (Hornady), 140 (Sierra & Nosler), 145 (Speer) 154 (Hornady) & 177 (RWS) grain bullets.

2" groups with H4831 and 130 & 145 gr. Speer SPBT's bullets? Something's amiss......or perhaps you've got a 2" rifle - or your rifle simply doesn't prefer Speer - or H4831 - can't say but with some judicious interpretation of load data & a balanced rifle, loads & bench technique you ought to be able to do better than that IMO - Dunno all the In's & Outs.

Load data for this powder and your Speer bullets ought to be real easy to obtain - there's many sources out there.

Have fun with your new supply of components.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the replys guys. Regarding my bench technique, I believe I can shoot OK. I do OK with my other rifles, I am just trying to figure this one out. I need some data for the re-25 as I bought 5 lbs of it cheap. Bullets I curently have on hand are 130, 145 SPEER SPBT's. and 160 Sierra SPBT's. I have tried all these bullet with 4831sc and could get no better than 2". I would expect much better than that from a Tikka. So, time to change powder, so I got the Re-25. I would have bought Re-22, but I got this stuff really cheap. Where should I start next?

Help Please!
Mark

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've played with RL 15 in mine and it has done a good job overall...

actually I prefer powders in this burn rate, versus the slower ones everyone else seems to like...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
RL 15 is a relatively fast rifle powder. I like it very much for the 35 whelen and others. I'm gaining respect for the RL 15 powder since I shoot several of cartridges that have a bore diameter large in relation to the case capacity. Based on the limited experience I've had, RL 15 doesn't seem to be the best fit for the 7mm Mag, unless your using a short barrel.
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been loading the Speer 145 gr spire point for a couple of years now. The load I am using is 73 grains of Reloader 25 with Winchester large rifle primers. My 5 shot average velocity is 3320 fps and 5/8 inch groups.

Posts: 9 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My particular 7mm Mag sure likes 63.5 grains of H-4831SC, 150 grain Nosler Partitions, with Fed 210M's. Three shots in a 1/2" group at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAJUN:
I've been loading the Speer 145 gr spire point for a couple of years now. The load I am using is 73 grains of Reloader 25 with Winchester large rifle primers. My 5 shot average velocity is 3320 fps and 5/8 inch groups.

Cajun,

Welcome aboard!! thumb
That's some good shooting with your 7mm Mag, for 5 shots too!

Don

posted Hide Post
Thanks DMB, i've been around for a few years. I just never posted. By the way I forgot to mention the rifle i was using is a Browning A-Bolt with a 26 inch barrel

Posts: 9 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I was reading awhile back that a few "7maggers" were finding that Re25 is an exceptional powder for this caliber.

Seems like I tried some about 4 years ago with good results but off the top of my head, can't remember what I tried it with. I've had too many other projects going on to continue working with it.

I would stick with Re25 and the 4831 for sure but you really need to consider that H414. If you can't find a good load with both of those bullet wts and H414, your rifle is likely not a Speer bullet fan. You will get good velocities with the 414 also.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
worked up some loads yesterday with the re-25 and 160 sierra's I will have to find the time to get to the range to try them. Thanx for the input guys.

Mark