New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAFETY & seating depths for hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came by a hunting rifle that as stated likes a light load (200 fps below typical) right on the lands. I gave this a try after all else failed and viola, one ragged hole. I'll work up other loads in time, I hope, but it got me to thinking. Is seating on the lands as dangerous as I was tought? I have to be super careful as I have multiple rifles in the same cartridge so check most things twice, barss, primers, charge, etc. I even checked a loaded round left in the magazine for 18 rounds to make sure seating depth didn't change.
If zero jump is dangerous, is .005", .010", or even .020" safe? Obviously .025" is safer than kissing the lands, but is the difference material to carefully prepared hand loads?
Appreciate your thoughts.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
As long as you work your load up I don`t feel there is any difference in the safty of a load based on seating depth.

The only problem that I worry about in hunting ammo in reguards to seating is if the bullet is touching the lands it may stick and stay in the barrel when unloading your rifle. I try to seat a couple thousanths off the lands in hunting ammo, as long as accuracy is still acceptible for the task. I really find most of my rifles will shoot very well or show the best accuracy with a little jump, maybe .005-.015" but every rifle is different and this might not be true in yours.

I`d play with your seating depth and see if you find a spot off the lands the rifle likes and use that for hunting. Seating in the lands is fine at the range but can cause trouble in the field.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
With the exception of possibly not fitting into your magazine seating to the lands is safe if you have enough bullet seated into the cartridge. The bullet should be seated at least the same amount as the diameter of the bullet. Example .308 bullet should be seated at lease .308. If seated a less amount you stand the chance of the bullet coming out of the case. If the bullet is seated into the lands to deep then it can become stuck when you eject a live round leaving you with a chamber full of powder. The latest Nosler reloading manual I have shows a method for determining the OAL. I use a Sinclair Seating Depth Tool with Standard Guide & Sinclair Bullet Comparator. The link is listed below if used properly it will eliminate the stuck bullet problem.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=09-400&type=store

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=09-600&type=store

Stoney Point also makes an OAL measuring system, but the Sinclair will let you use your own Fire Formed Case and bullet with out having to buy separate components for each caliber.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote