Find
Notify
Tools

quest. changing projectile for load recipe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello all,

I was wondering what the recommendation for the following would be. I am looking at certain load recipes in the Hornady Loading Manual and these recipes are all for Hornady FMJ or JHP projectiles. What would happen if I took the recommended powder charge for a 124GR Hornady JHP and used another type of projectile of the same weight, like a Speer 124GR for example.

Thanks,
Steve

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
That is what I do, then just start at the low end and be cautious in working it up.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a 9mm load. The 9mm is very OAL sensative. All bullets are not alike. SO just substituting one design/bnrad for another w/ a load running the top end, could take pressures beyond safe. Always back the load down & work it back up.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If you need some Speer info I have an older Speer manual at home. Speer #12, they're on 14 now. Bearing surface in 9's can be an issue also.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time.
Start low, work up, keep an eye on your pressure, and chronograph along the way.
If the new projectile has a larger bearing surface, start a little lower.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
That is what I do, then just start at the low end and be cautious in working it up.

I do the same if I can't find Load data for that bullet...

Rem and Win bullets for instance.

But first I check with the manufacturer to see if they have any load data for that bullet, if they do I just use theirs.