New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 shotgun slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wondering if anybody has any experience with 410 shotgun slugs. My shotgun has a fixed full choke, wondering how well a 410 rifled slug will shoot through it? Is there a better choke that will shoot a slug better, say a modified choke?

Wondering what kind of accuracy one can expect at say 50 or 100 yards? Thinking of trying them on coyotes!

thanks for the input guys an gals.

<eldeguello>
posted
Generally, an Improved Cylinder choke works best with rifled slugs (Foster or Brenneke type), because the slug receives a little "guidance" passing through, but is not generally so deformed as to become inaccurate. Full choke is usually the least accurate, but slugs will go through a regular full choke with no danger.

As for your particular gun, you won't know which choke shoots best until you test them.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello pretty much nailed the accuracy thing.....but just buy a few paks of slugs and try them. You never know!!!

FYI the 85 grain slug....(yes...85 grains) isn't exactly a powerhouse at the .410 velocities. However if the accuracy is there to 50 yards it'll make the local yotes disappear fast. I personally think 100 yards is stretching it quite a bit.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I have tried various brand of slugs in my M6 survival gun . accuracy is about 3 inche 3 slugs att 35 yards, federal has somewhat heavier slug 1/4 of onz compared with 1/5 ons of remington and winchetser and accuracy is little bit better than the other brands. i run a penetration test in papper and nearly all brands of 410 slug penetrated more!!! than average foster typ 12 slugs . do not understimate power of 410 slugs at max 40 yards they can surly down a big game in survival condition.
cheers
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote