New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Interbond and SST Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used Hornady SST bullets in several calibres and bullet weights and always found them to be very accurate.I started using some of the Interbond bullets shortly after they came on the market, Mostly 165 and 180 gr in 30 cal& the 225 in 338. The first Interbonds seemed to shoot pretty good and they held together better on game. I picked up some 7mm Interbonds in 139 and 154 gr a couple years ago and started off using load data that I had developed for the SST bullets minus a couple grs of powder and then worked up to the SST load. One rifle I tried didn't like the Interbonds and it shot 3 to 4 inch groups. That same rifle will group in an inch with SST bullets.I never thought too much about it at the time. I have since tried several other powders with the same poor groups.I have since tried those same Interbonds in 3 other 7mm rifles and I have the same results in 4 rifles. The calibres involved include a 7mm Wby, 7mm Rem , a custom 284 and a 7mm SAUM. I have always been very happy with the accuracy I've received from the SST. I just wanted a bullet that held together a little better. Has anyone else had accuracy concerns with the Interbond bullets? How about the newer GMX bullet? Would appreciate comments from those who have used the Interbonds.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Have no info but you may contact Hornady and ask to talk with CS or the ballistics guys. They may ask you to trade a new box of bullets for your old ones so they can take a look. I once recieved a box of .224 's that had some 6mm mixed in. I suppose the box weight was close to correct but they sent two boxes of bullets and paid to ship the confused ones back to them. They wanted the lot# immediately. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same thing happen to me with my 338Win, and also in my 308Win. 3 to 4" is the best group with the Interbonds. I love the SST's because they are so accurate, but can feel your pain on the frangibility of them. Another route that you may want to take... Accubonds, they are just as accurate, and seem to be a little less frangible than the SST.

Posts: 33 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 03 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bignate Good comment. I called Hornady and they were just super.They want me to ship the remainder of those bullets to their Canadian distributor and want to replace them with SST's ,Interbonds ,whatever I want. They were able to tell me that the bullets I have were made 5 or 6 years ago. So any problem they may have had would likely be long corrected.
Sonofa, Can you tell us when your bullets were made?? The first two # on the lot # on the rear of the box should be the year of manufacture.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote