New
Find
Notify
Tools

full size or neck size?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a lee set-up where they give you both a FULL SIZE and a NECK SIZING die in the delux rifle die set.

When reloading FIRE-FORMED (not new) brass, and using the SAME shells over and over again in the same rifle (7mm rem mag in this case) is there any reason to use that full size die? or should I just stick with the collet neck sizer??

CheapGunParts.Com
The ONLY on-line store to specialize in Ruger 10/22 upgrades! And home of the Yellow Jacket Bolt Buffer!

Posts: 55 | Location: Mobile Alabama | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A neck sizing die will do the job nicely. I have one for each of the 14 calibers I reload for. You'll get better accuracy, and the brass will last longer. You'll still need a full length sizing die on hand for those occasions when you have to bump your shoulder back. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting loads I always full length resize the case...For target or plinking, even varmint hunting I neck size only for the most part..but I don't see any difference in accuracy or how long the brass lasts..I think that is one of the many old time wives tales that haunt the world of gundome, another sacred cow of BS that has been accepted as fact... sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
A neck sizing die will do the job nicely. I have one for each of the 14 calibers I reload for. You'll get better accuracy, and the brass will last longer. You'll still need a full length sizing die on hand for those occasions when you have to bump your shoulder back. Best wishes.Cal Iam confused about you only neck sizing;why do you not use PFLR or FLR...

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The only time I full-length size brass is when it is brand new. After that it gets neck-sized only.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a Lee reloading manual....get one and you will find all sorts of very helpful information. (Neck size only unless you have a semiauto...then full size).

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote