THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    New to reloading... Bullet seating depth question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading... Bullet seating depth question
 Login/Join

posted
I have a .270wsm and have started dabbling with reloading. I understand the c.o.a.l. Measurement but I have been measuring the ogive to cartridge base with the hornady gauge and comparators and all the good stuff that comes along with that. Here's my question... The oal for the .270wsm is 2.860, With the bullet seated .020 from the lands the oal of the loaded round is 2.943. The round feeds fine(remington 700) and the bullet is seated far enough in the neck. The reason it is too long is because the bullet is a nosler accubond and the tip sticks out farther than other bullets... What am I missing here? To me it shouldn't matter how far the tip sticks into the barrel as long as the round feeds, it isn't buried into the lands, and the bullet is seated in the case neck far enough. I understand pressure and what causes what but... Just want to make sure I am looking at this right. Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF the cartridge fits in the magazine
AND the chambered round is .020 off the lands,
Then you get a little extra case capacity, a bit lower pressure and your coal is just a number to reference for future loads WITH the same bullet in the same rifle.
You are loading these for YOUR rifle, not remchester selling to the masses.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep

If it fits in the mag box and feeds and is off the lands run it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
IF the cartridge fits in the magazine
AND the chambered round is .020 off the lands,
Then you get a little extra case capacity, a bit lower pressure and your coal is just a number to reference for future loads WITH the same bullet in the same rifle.
You are loading these for YOUR rifle, not remchester selling to the masses.

Like he said.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one needs a starting point a factory round with the same style of bullet is a good start.

Then one can try farther or closer for accuracy.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going against a general rule or something here. Anyways... thanks again.