New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on 375 H&H 300 gn Silvertips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these a good bullet tip for North America? Any big detractors other than it will be hard to find more if I really like the ones I am thinking of getting? Any big plusses? What are people's favorite 300 gn projectile for North America, Nosler Partitions, Sierra GameKings etc?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
In the 60's and 70's these were the best you could get. My guess is they would work passibly on anything in NA. I had a box of early 60's vintage my dad's pal left when he brought out his model 70 to shoot when I was in diapers. Instead of keeping them, I shot them up and reused the cases for a more modern load.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think these have been made in a while so getting more will be a big problem, assuming I'm right. Today, there are many better choices, and using a premium bullet will give you much more confidence should you need to use the .375 on something bigger and nastier.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SilverTips you are asking about, I believe are made by Combined Technologies (Nosler&Olin/Winchester). I think they are nothing more than a Nosler Ballistic Tip with a silver plastic/polymer tip. If they are, I would not use them on anything bigger than a coyote, even if they are 300 grains. The original "Silver Tip", I believe has not been manufactured since somewhere in the 90's. At least that is the last time I could find some for my 270 Winchester.
I personally have seen some bad bullet failures with the Nosler Ballistic Tips and personally would not use them for anything other than varmint hunting or killing paper.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot about those. Rae is correct. They are Nosler BT with a lubalox coating. I didn't know they were made in .375, but if they are then they're just BTs gussied up. So I'd also agree with Rae to use something else.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
airgun1

I feel the best all round bullet you could use in the 375 H&H is the 300gr Nosler Partition.

There are a lot of good bullets factory loaded, and avialable for handloading for the 375.

But If I had to pick ONE soft point bullet for everything, from white tail, to elk, to brown bear to cape buff, for the 375 H&H, the Federal Factory 300gr Nosler Partition would be the one.

I have even killed a few Texas turkeys with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Nosler Partition. I was referring to New Old Stock (NOS) original Winchester Silver Tips, not Ballistic Silvertips. On a related note, I just fell into some 200 gn 30 cal Winchester Silvertip bullets. I have some pristine old Super Speed brass to load them in for nostalgia's sake.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford 30-6 ammo with Silvertips; had to use PowerPoints. I didn't own a 375 H&H back then, nor did I now anyone with one. I had a chance at some 300 gn 375 Silvertips and was wondering if they were still a hot item.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
airgun1,

I would guess I have as much on game experience with the no longer made 300 grain winchester bullets in 375 H&H as others. These are the jacketed lead bullets with a silver metalic cap over the tip. They have 2 cannelures.

There is no thin skinned animal I would not shoot with them. In about 1998 I bought 1700 +/- of them at $17/100. I created handloads for my then new Mod 70 super express 375 H&H. I originally planned to use them to practice with and become completely proficient with my new 375. (yes I shoot a lot) What I discovered was a "magic" load that has consisitently shot 1 inch or better 5 shot groups. I then used a couple hundred or more on ground squirrels. I tried some marketing wonder bullets like original Trophy bondeds, Barnes, woodleighs, etc. None shot as well or even close so I stayed with the bullet not seen on TV. This was all before I was told by "experienced" world wide or old Africa hunters that these silvertips were not premium or good bullets.
My experience is that they are premium bullets. I have lost nothing and have never seen them fail so what the hell more do you or I need? Hunting is dominated by people easily marketed too. Just look at all the people who wear camoflage that costs them how many hunts over a lifetime in wasted funds? If you can find them try them and ignore the multitude of marketing victims that inhabit the hunting world. I only have less than 100 left.

Here is a list of different species I have shot and remember this. I have never seen a single failure with these bullets in my 375. (I have had 1 168gr TSX in my 300wsm fail to expand and just drill a clean hole). Nor have I ever seen this bullet fail in someone elses 375 H&H even though I have asked anyone who has badmouthed them for proof of some kind. (You see this a lot of this with African hunters both PHs and Wannabee bwanas). I would consider failure to penetrate or expand as a failure. Also think about the amount of money earned by hard work that I bet on each shot, especially in africa where if you draw blood you pay sometimes 1000s and do not get to shoot another.

In North America: Whitetail deer (2), ground squirrels (unknown but well over 100), Elk (2), Black bear (I think 1 black) Coastal Brown Bear, Polar Bear, Muskox(2), (1) Ringed Seal (self defense honestly).

That should be proof enough that nothing in North America is safe. How would anything be better than dead anyway?

In Southern Africa trips: Gemsbok, Nyala, Porcupine, Cape Eland, Kudu, African Wildcat, Bushpig, Limpopo Bushbuck, and Chacma Baboon.

In Cameroon: Western Hartebeest, a Nigerian Bohor Reedbuck, a 50 inch Lord Derby Eland (which at about 225 yards quartering away penetrated from the left hind quarter to the right front shoulder which is a good 5 plus feet including a 100 pound stomach full of packed green mush.), 2 Olive Baboons, a Harnessed Bushbuck that green scores as the new SCI #1 and a Western Roan.

I would have brought it on my Bongo hunt but I used it as an excuse to buy a new rifle. A 416 Rigby which shoots Norma factory 400 grain A-frames and Barnes solids to the same point and is rustproofed.

Anyone who says this bullet is not a good choice because there are "better" bullets needs to define "better" for me. I do not hunt wet phone books. My experience cannot be a long long string of extreme luck.

I hunt with many different guns but in my 375 H&H, I only use 300 grain Silvertips.

Good luck

SG

patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good post SG. It appears honest and factual.
Does anyone know if and where you can buy the original Silvertips? Are they even still made or has "progress" done them in? I would like some for .308,.338 and .375 caliber. I still have some for .277 and like SG like them very much.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Yo Old SG,

Good Post.

thumb

I like the way you tell it. Oh, and Bye-the-Way, know anywhere I can get a good deal on these bullets, too?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't find anymore 300 gr Silvertips believe me I have looked. So I am going to make a gun holder for my wall out of 2 of the Lord Derby's feet and retire my 375 H&H. Just cannot see polluting the barrel with any of PT Barnums current crop of camoflaged wonder bullets.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have some original slivertips left in componet form in 200 grain .358. I also have 3 boxes of 250m grain silvertips in .338wm. i shot up all the 300 grain 375's several years ago.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote