New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protected Point Partitions for 300WSM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody using Protected Point Partitions in their 300WSM?

I know the protected point version is designed for the 300WinMag and has a shorter o-give. It seems you should be able to take advantage of the shorter o-give and load the bullet out a little more and still have room in a short box magazine.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
Anybody using Protected Point Partitions in their 300WSM?

I know the protected point version is designed for the 300WinMag and has a shorter o-give. It seems you should be able to take advantage of the shorter o-give and load the bullet out a little more and still have room in a short box magazine.

Curiosity:
what exactly is it you are trying (or expecting) to gain by loading the bullet out more?

Avoiding compressed powder charges? they are only an issue with IMR7828, IMR4831 & RL22 in the 300WSM.

And anyway the most accurate loads I've ever found have often been compressed charges.

as an interesting note...
Not too long ago I had some joker trying to tell me that the bullet that has a base extending into the powder space starts moving more slowly because the propellant gasses were pushing against the sides of the bullet heel instead of the bullet base... LOL....

Frankly I think you loose a whole bunch more by using the protected point with it's poorer ballistic coefficient

Personally I'm working on a load with the protected point in my 30-06 Semi-auto for <200yard work.
I want the partition and I want a 180gr, but any other Partition bullet would get all bashed up in the action.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote