THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Midway selling 338 250 grain Partition Golds cheap

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway selling 338 250 grain Partition Golds cheap
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Midway is selling repackaged 338 caliber 250 grain Nosler Partition Golds for $4.99/50.

These are moly coated, but I can take care of that all by myself.

Midway Link

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grabbed 500 just to make sure I didn't run out. Big Grin

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway ?. Is selling 250 grian noslers for $ 4.99 / #50 . That's dirt cheap isn't it !. I shall pickup some for the Browning Win Mag.

Now I know why I never seem to have money left over !. Still a bargin is a bargin !!.Thanks

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a couple hundred. That should kill bears for the next twenty years thumb

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Now how do you get the moly off bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's probably really not moly. It's very hard to take off the bullets but it really doesn't matter. I had some of their 150's when they were on sale. I soaked them in pure ammonia and it barely got a little off. I think it's really their "lubalox". Just shoot em and clean as normal.....everything will be fine.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
UPS just delivered mine today. These looks like the old style PGs with real moly (it comes off all over your fingers). It's not a slick teflon-looking finish like on the Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip bullets (Lubalox?).

I'll run them through my tumbler for a couple of hours and hopefully they'll come out bright and shiney.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NBHunter, is Midway going to ship the bullets to you in Canada? I thought they stopped shipping to Canada.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK ... so why would one want to remove the coating? Is there a problem with moly on hunting projectiles?

thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Some folks believe Moly causes more problems in the long run than it solves, gumming up the barrel with hard to remove deposits of black goo.

FWIW, I've been told by one of our local High Power gurus that the best way to remove moly is to put the bullets in a strainer and spray with brake cleaner while agitating the strainer. Bullets should end up nice and clean...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hart:
NBHunter, is Midway going to ship the bullets to you in Canada? I thought they stopped shipping to Canada.

I live next to the border and have a mail delivery box in Houlton. My wife loves to go over there for chinese food so I just pick up my goodies while we're over and take them through customs on my own. I get half of my reloading stuff on my side of the border but you get tired of getting gouged on the prices so bad that I go through the extra trouble to save money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
It's probably really not moly. It's very hard to take off the bullets but it really doesn't matter. I had some of their 150's when they were on sale. I soaked them in pure ammonia and it barely got a little off. I think it's really their "lubalox". Just shoot em and clean as normal.....everything will be fine.

According to Nosler's web site, the Partition Gold bullets are moly coated. (Except the moly-free version, of course.)

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=3&bullet=12

I purchased 600 of the bullets from Midway. I plan to remove the moly. I did a search here on AR and found that some people were recommending Mean Green Super Strength Cleaner Degreaser for removing the moly from bullets. I've never tried it, though. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've now tried two different concentrated cleaner/de-greasers (one after the other) on the moly coated bullets and neither did much good at all. They did take some of the loose moly off, but there's still plenty there to rub off on your fingers. The cleaners I used are a whole lot more powerful than the Simple Green Concentrate.

Brake cleaner didn't do a damn thing.

I'm going back to the old-fashioned method, I have 300 bullets in my tumbler now. At least the bullets started a little cleaner than usual and maybe I won't have to pitch the media after this tumble.

UPDATE:
After three hours in the tumbler, they're still not completely moly-free. At least now they're not leaving dirty footprints everywhere they go, so it's good enough for me. At $4.99/50, I won't complain too loudly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HMMMMM--what did I tell you in my original post??? It's said to be molly....it looks like moly.....at first chance it comes off like molly but....boy the last stuff comes off like Armor! My advice is to stop (possibly) changing the jacket with all kinds of cleaners and degreasers and tumbling. Accept it....shoot it...its not a problem.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Accept it....shoot it...its not a problem.

I've now come to this conclusion. I just like to bang my head against the wall for a while first. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between "combined technologies" and "combined technology"?

Once I click on "combined technologies", it leads me to the add for the bullets, and they are then called, "combined technology", in a Frankfort box, not a Nosler / Winchester box.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
...in a Frankfort box, not a Nosler / Winchester box.

Midway does this every now & then. Apparently they buy in bulk, "repack" them into their own plastic boxes, and sell them cheap.

Same bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it works, but read an article on moly that stated that MEK (methyl ethyl alcohol) will remove moly coatings. Might be worth a try as its readily available at hardware stores!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/summary.tcl?...substance_id=78-93-3

METHYL ETHYL KETONE is not alcohol, it is nasty stuff. It used to be in capacitors that I would accidently blow up. I always left the area for a long time.

I am grateful for this thread, I orderd 500 bullets for $70 delivered. Great deal for .338 partions. I like moly. Now I just need a 338 Win Mag reamerSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc: Your right about MEK not being alcohol; my typo mistake. Should have read methyl ethyl ketone. To my knowledge, it is sold in hardwares and is safe to use per instructions.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MEK is good at trashing livers. I use it, but always outside in a breeze, and wearing a respirator and rubber gloves. Nasty stuff. I have mainly used it as part of a solvent mixture to thin........moly based spray to bake onto steel gun parts....

It won't screw up the copper. I leave it on FailSafe and Partition Gold bullets becaus of the steel cups inside the back ends of those bullets. They don't yield very well. that causes increased pressure (especially in the FailSafe). The moly helps ease that. Doesn't seem to make a difference in a hunting rifle, for me, so far, anyway. YMMV.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the "heads up", got 500 delivered for $65.00 incl. $3.30 NRA roundup. When I called I asked if they had any left and was told they had 1450 boxes. As for the moly - the ones I recieved seem to be pretty hard coated, very little comes off on my fingers. Per posts in this thread I guess I'l just shoot "as is". Any special cleaning needed following moly coated bullets? Thanks HL

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are no longer available.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I couldn't find them either. Don't think I was quite fast enough. Frowner Deals like that really need to be taken advantage of.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Now it says:

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Well I missed out again Roll Eyes

If anybody here got a few more than they really care to shoot I would gladly buy some from you with a little markup and pay the shipping.

Don

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
The Partition Golds are a great bullet. I was shooting the 180gr in my 300WM since they come out till 2004, now I love the Accubonds. But the PG's are a great performer on big game. At the gun range, they were going thru 3/4" steel plates at 300yrds. Devastating on the moose and elk I've shot over the years!

As to the Moly coat, its Moly and not the Lublox coating as one person posted. The Moly is grey, the Lubalox coating is black. (failsafes, ballistic silvertips, accubond CT's).

For myself, I prefer the coating in my rifles, as I get tighter groups.

I may just have to check here in Alberta now for some 338WM bullets as I'm contemplating on a new Sako m75 Grey Wolf 338WM.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote