New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon Reloading Presses 650 Vs. 1050?
 Login/Join

<Lakeitel>
posted
Guys I am waffling about making a purchase and would like to ask your advice. I added up all the extras that really are added to the Dillon 650 to make it totally automated (case feeder, etc) and it basically comes out to around $1000 to get one set up. That puts me into the ballpark of the 1050. My interests lay in producing mass quantities of ammo in a limited amount of calibers for reduced costs. Would I be better served with the 650 or the 1050? Is the 1050 really worth the added expense? I am interested in hearing candid pro and con arguments for both presses if that is possible. Thanks in advance!

<jdllyons>
posted
I used a 650 for a number of years and it is a VERY GOOD machine.

I believe that if you are only going to load for ONE cartridge, the 1050 might be the way to go. If you are going to load multiple calibers, I think you will find the changeover process will be both faster and less expensive on the 650.

As far as loading volume goes, I was loading around 1000 rounds per hour of 38 Super on my 650 without really pushing it. This is close to the volume level that Dillon proclaims for the 1050.

Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I have no handle nor experience with the 1050. I do have the 650 which by choice I only use for multiple pistol cartridges. No rifle cartridges. I can say nothing but good things about it and can't see any reason to investigate and look into a 1050.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Lakeitel>
posted
Thanks for the input, guys. I had a theft from my storage facility and had some reloading equipment stolen. I COULD just get the 1050 with the proceeds or I could get the 650 and some stuff to go along with it. My aim in reloading is to allow me to get out there and shoot for the cheapest price possible. What gives me a moment to think is that I really do not ever see myself in the position to purchase a 1050 again and am wondering if I am being foolish by giving up this oportunity. What do you think?

<CatShooter>
posted
BUY THE 1050!!!

First, you may never have another chance.

Second, the 1050 has been upgraded to the "Super 1050", that will now handle all rifle cartridges up to 45-70.

If you do volume loading, this is the way to go... it only takes 15 minutes to change over from one caliber to another.

Plus it will hold it's value over the years... used 1050's on eBay get mucho dinero.

CatShooter.

(Cat... the other white meat)

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ditto what jdllyons said. Extra caliber set-ups are quite a bit cheaper. AFA holding value, from what I see on auction sites all the dillon presses hold value very well. The 1050 is the cat's cream, but one thing to consider is the warranty. The 650 has a lifetime warranty against wear, while the 1050 is limited to one year for normal wear. Unless you're anticpating loading .45/70 or need more than five stations, I would go with the 650.

Just my nickel.

Eddie