Find
Notify
Tools

.416 RM & 400gr reduced load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted
Good results today with Hornady 400gr RN and a fast burning powder with dacron fill to keep the powder against the case bottom. Moderate pressure only. A lot less recoil backed off by 600 fps but still generates 3000 ft-lbs muzzle energy. Dark timber Moose stomper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a bit more velocity.

But each to is own.

I loaded some in my 416 Taylor about here they do not have much recoil.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So I could probably get similar results with a .416 R GG? Been trying to talk myself out of buying one. You're no help.

Then, looking to get talked out of a gun purchase on AR is like looking to get talked out of a drink at a bar.

BTW, looks like you could use a 22 deg chamfer tool, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4sixteen When I got my 416 Rem I was looking for a load with a little less recoil that the full throttle 400 gr rounds. I found the 350 gr Speers to be more than enough for moose and black bears. With a little more velocity it provides a flatter trajectory than the 400's at 1800 fps

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Current hunting load for my .416 RM is the 350gr TTSX at 2450 fps muzzle speed for which my rifle is zeroed. Optional to use the 400gr reduced load at close range since it's pretty much zeroed as well. Flatter trajectories are less of a need by using a scope with a ballistic reticle.

Reduced loads also worked well for my .416 Ruger.

Chamfer tool and Lee crimp die used which is maybe why the case mouth looks like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck shooting things with the 350gr speer.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
No complaints using the .416 350gr Speer Mag-Tip on game. Nor using 300gr TSX, 350gr TSX or 350gr Barnes solids.