New
Find
Notify
Tools

What size cast bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting down the path of reloading cast bullets. I slugged the barrel of my 44 mag and I am getting 430.5 to 431. Should I be looking for
cast bullets in the 431 or 432 dia.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look at using .432 diameter bullets. Cast bullets generally like to be .001 over groove diameter.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
At least one thou over groove is de rigueur. BUT, check your cylinder first; the bullets can't be bigger that it is; if they are, they just get squeezed down anyway. Worse case is when a cylinder is smaller than the barrel groove dia; then the revolver will never shoot well.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the throats for sure. If they are under bore dia. then have them reamed to match. I usually size my bullets to match the throats.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I did a tentative check on the cylinder with the 430 jacketed I have and then tried the lead slug I pushed thru the barrel, they will not go thru without pressure. Anyone know a good gunsmith in the Dallas Tx area ?

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Slug them first and if the cylinder is .431 and the groove is .431, then you don't need a gunsmith. If the cylinder is .430 and the groove is .431 then you do.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
.003 is about normal go go oversized.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote