New
Find
Notify
Tools

9x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure why but I picked up an old mauser action rifle in 9x57. It appears to be a Husqvarna with a 98 action. Commercial barrel not a re-bored military stepped barrel. Bore and rifling are very good. I don't think this thing was used much. Since 9x57 brass is non-existant,I will neck up new 8x57 cases. Have to slug the barrel but I plan to use .358 diam bullets. The common factory load was a 246 gr bullet so I will try some 250 gr Speer or Hornady. Was thinking the 220 gr speer bullet may also be a good choice, maybe even the 200 gr Hornady. I know I can use some 358 Win data and work carefully. Wondering if there are any 9x57 owners out there that have a load that shoots well in their rifle ? Thanks for any input.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
They were not allowed to own a military caliber rifle,but were allowed to own a caliber that was not used by a military.
The 9x57 is very close to the .35 Wheelen. Our ,30-06 blown out. Many of the .358 Winchester loads can be used as well.
You can use the beginning loads for the .35 Wheelen and be close to where your rifle will shoot the best.
I have owned both over the years and they are a fine Elk and Bear cartridges.
Since you have to mount the action I would recommend you control recoil in some way. It is stout.
I do not recommend Remington brass. It is too soft and you will blow primers.
Privi and Winchester brass seemed to hold up the best over military brass,which I use as Berdan primers are not a problem.
My old load was:
250 gr bullet
IMR-3031 43.0 start 45 grains max MV-2260fps
Best groups were 44 grains.
The 9x57mm is a fine cartridge and has been used all over the world for hunting.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a Husky in a 9x57 in a long time. Neat find!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, go slowly here; first, slug your barrel and see exactly what groove diameter you have. 9mms can be as small as .354, and usually are .356. So, yes, you might be able to use .358s with no problem, or you might not.
Start with light loads and see.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman:

My 9x57 is a rebuilt mid-20s vintage Type C Military Sporting Rifle with a 23.6" barrel(reproofed in 1961), and fitted with a Lyman receiver sight. I got lucky; groove diameter is 0.359". FYI, KYNOCH 245 gr. factory loads gave 15' velocities varying from 2103 fps (late fall) to 2148 fps (early summer). RWS 281 gr. went 1815 to 1856 fps.

To date I have only worked with Varget and the 250 gr. Hornady RNSP. Initial testing used light (~159 gr), new NNY 8x57 brass necked up. Results were as follows: 45.0 gr., 1964 fps (3 rds); 46.0 gr., 1986 fps (5 rds); 47.0 gr., 2041 fps(5 rds). I then worked up to the ADI max. of 49.0 gr. with heavier (~171 gr) once-fired norma 8x57 brass. Results were as follows (velocities average for 4 rds): 46.0 gr., 2101 fps; 47.0 gr., 2152 fps; 48.0 gr., 2215 fps; 48.5 gr., 2243 fps; 49.0 gr., 2249 fps. The higher velocities in the latter test reflect not just the difference in brass but also a new chronograph and a slightly faster lot of Varget.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information gentlemen. It all helps. Would anyone out there have a set of 9x57 dies they would part with? or know where there is a set ? I can likely get started using a 358 win die a 35 Whelan die and I have a universal 35 cal seating die but it would be nice to have a proper set of loading dies. Thanks again.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CH4D has them listed for $87 for the set. They're very likely to have them on the shelf. I've ordered several odd dies and had them within two weeks or less. They had both the 401 Herters Powermag and a 10.75x57 on the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a set of 9x57 ready to ship.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman:

I got Redding dies from Tradex Canada a couple of years ago. I see that they still have them listed as in stock, with a price of Can$74.

Note: my dies didn't come with a tapered expander ball for necking up 8x57 brass. That wasn't a problem for me as my RCBS .35 Whelen die is so equipped, so I just run the cases far enough into the Whelen die to expand the necks.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al Tradex does NOT have any 9x57 dies in stock and no idea when they are coming. Thanks anyway. I would even be interested in a 9x57 size die,if anyone had one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Snowman. Must not have looked closely enough when I checked yesterday.

Cheers, Al

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hornady's set for the 9,3x57 has a sizing die that reduces the neck to dimensions on the small side even for a 9x57. By replacing the expander ball with one of the appropriate size for your rifle that sizer should work fine.

Another interesting tidbit is that the .35 Remington is essentially a 9x57 shortened from the base. The neck and shoulder dimensions are nearly identical to 9x57 and one can sometimes get away with using .35 Remington dies to load for 9x57.

I may also have a set of RCBS 9x57 dies buried in the closet somewhere.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CH-4D. When I got my 9 X 57 Sauer & Sohn Mauser a few years ago Dave had them in stock. Also another encouragement to slug the bore. My 9 X 57 goes .352 GROOVE diameter and I have heard of others as small. Yours being a Husky may not suffer from the "tighter is better" thought process of old German builders but it's better to know.

For cast bullet loads I'm shooting a basically 250 gr. bullet from an Accurate Mold over 16 grs. of Unique with a foam filler. Jacketed is a Sierra 250 gr. round nose over the same 43 grs. of IMR-3031 Rapidrob mentioned. I size the cast to .354 and swage the jacketed to .352-.353.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, go slowly here; first, slug your barrel and see exactly what groove diameter you have. 9mms can be as small as .354, and usually are .356. So, yes, you might be able to use .358s with no problem, or you might not.
Start with light loads and see.

Some good advice here. Stripped the rifle down yesterday to check everything all over. I noticed that the barrel had NO markings on it at all. Same contour and same open sights as a 8x57 Husqvarna rifle I have. Buttplate has the Husqvarna logo on it and appears original. Action is a 98 mauser with thumb slot and no military marks. Bolt is turned down and has a Bueler low swing safety and it has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Noticed the shoulder area on the feed rails had been polished and moved forward ??? Next we slugged the barrel.....hmmmm bigger than 356 bigger than 358... very close to .366. Well so its a 9.3 mm. Thought maybe a 9.3x57. Better check the chamber. 8x57 case chambers with no resistance. Tried a 8x60 case...still no resistance. 30-06 case same thing. Tried a 9.3x62 case and the bolt closed with a snug fit in the last 1/2 inch of bolt travel. So the reason the barrel is in such good shape is it was re-barreled to 9.3x62. So like dpch suggested, when buying an old rifle check these things out BEFORE you start putting live ammo in it. Thanks to all for your input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
They were not allowed to own a military caliber rifle,but were allowed to own a caliber that was not used by a military.

Never been such a regulation in Sweden; actually the government subsided military rifles and ammo for civilian shooters.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well so its a 9.3 mm.

Now aren't you glad that you didn't already find those 9x57 dies!

That's an obvious step up in power from the 9x57, and loading data is everywhere, as well as a good selection of bullets.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent cartridge!! Fortunately 9.3 bullets are more available now than they ever have been in this country.

I have no less than 3 older German rifles that were not what they were advertised as. I always check with a chamber cast and a slug of the bore.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Well so its a 9.3 mm.

Now aren't you glad that you didn't already find those 9x57 dies!

That's an obvious step up in power from the 9x57, and loading data is everywhere, as well as a good selection of bullets.

Stonecreek Yes I'm glad I didn't buy a set of dies that I don't have a rifle for. As for the 9.3 x62.......not quite as excited as I could be. I already have two 9.3x62 rifles as well as a 9.3x64 and a couple 35 Whelan Imp and a 358 Norma. So that section of the cartridge fence is pretty much covered. Oh well its still a nice old mauser rifle and I guess a person never has too many of those.