New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with 257 Wby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wby lists a 115 gr TSX at 3400 fps, but the loading manuels don't come close to that.

Anybody have any great loads they have used?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry

I haven't loaded any 115 TSX's yet, but have shot quite a lot of 100's in my .257. 72 grains of RL22 with a 100 TSX goes 3670 fps in my Weatherby, and is the same as my Weatherby factory ammo with 100 Hornadys. I would think 3400 fps would be attainable, it may be that RL25 might work with the heavier bullet better.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader's Nest has a few loads listed at that speed.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry ----- I have shot a .257 Wby for some years now and really enjoy it's utility. I use RL-22 mainly from 66 to 70 grains depending on Lot. I also use H-1000 up to 77 grains depending on Lot. I hunt with the 115 and 120 grain Nosler Partition. Just started to use the Barnes TSX 115 grain and am impressed with it's accuracy. I use the RL-22 and Fed 215M primer for it. I also shoot the Berger 110 grain and Nosler Ballistic Tip as well as the 100 grain Barnes XLC. ----- My grandson has killed a truck load of Deer with this rifle. It has a 6 X 24 Burris Signature scope. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've run 100 ballistic tips at around 3700fps.

Without looking at manuals I would think that velocity in general might be "doable".

I was thumbing through my Barnes manual last night looking at listed speed. That is one manual that should have a disclaimer that says...."Reduce loads by 5% to start....and reduce our claimed speed by 5% cause you aint gonna get it!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I've found that 3300 is about the top end for the heavies in the 257 Wby.

I've not worked with R25 in it yet though.

I kind of feel that this is one of those things you can make it do, but is it something you should make it do...

In other words I feel to get there you would really need to lean on it. And I am not interested in doing that anymore for 100 fps.

Just my thoughts, make it your best day!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Wby lists a 115 gr TSX at 3400 fps, but the loading manuels don't come close to that.

Anybody have any great loads they have used?

Terry,

Here's some of my thoughts and observations:

1) In general, Wby's listed factory velocities are realistic from a 26" barrel - not 150 fps or so higher as some other ammo manufacturers claim.

2) I would first chron some Wby factory loads close to the 115 grainer you want to produce.

3) Also the Barnes solid copper bullets has been known to produce some odd balistics from some barrels.

4) Try a different 115 -120 grain conventional bullet with about the same load and check velocities.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with the 270 Weatherby and RL powders has led me to IMR 7828. Based on lot-to-lot consistency and experience, this is the powder for utilization of heavy for calibre bullets. It wasn't readily available at the time, but I wanted to experiment with VV N-170 too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 50gr 4064 with a nosler partion 120 gr
this is right at 3400 fps. very good load in
my Blaser R93 .

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
???4064 in a 257 Wby

interesting choice

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .257 Wby loads go 3400 fps with the 120 grain Nosler Partitions, a little faster for the 115 grainers of any make, some averaging 3500 fps. I get 3700 with the 100 grain Barnes XLC's. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
i use 4831 and 72 grains of it , but the manual list a max of 68 .o for that bullet so let your concience be your guide , and be safe first , and last ok ?

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote