Find
Notify
Tools

444 or 45-70??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Posting for a friend! For woods (deer/elk) and doing the plinking thing. What do you think? Thanx

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
POP,

Both calibers are great. But I prefer the .444 because bullet weight are lighter than 45-70, and the shooting distance (for elk/deer) can be more far with a .444 than with 45-70.

Just my 0.02 cts.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I prefer the 45-70 because it retains more energy on the longer shot and years ago before I started reloading (and maybe now, havn't checked factory ammo in a while) the only factory ammo available for the 444 in my area was Remington loaded to 444 velocities using the same bullet they used for the 44Mag pistol. These were to devistating on deer for me and most likely would not have been very good for elk.

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I like 45-70 because it' more versatile and has more potential in my humble opinion.

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45/70 has a greater aray of bullets including a 250 gr Barnes X number which I have not tried. Also better hunting bullets available for the 45/70 as opposed to pistol bulets for the .444. Both are good but the 45/70 is better all round IMHO. We can't get them in Oz but you have the garret & buffalo bore loadings if you decide you want to hunt the big 5 in Africa [Razz]

And lastly it has the [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] factor.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading of a new, heavier bullet designed for the .444 which should extend it's capabilities. I'll post later if I can find the source.

As mentioned above, the 45-70 offers a much wider range of loads/options than is currently available for the .444 .

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Beartooth Bullets and check out their bullets for the .444 Have some 300 gr. grain cast and love them. Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.45-70 if you are buying new. .444 if you find a real deal on a used one.

The previous posters were right about the .44 mag pistol bullet being used, but there is/was ammo loaded with a 265 grainer especially designed for the cartridge. I think Hornady makes that one. Reloading, 300 grains is about the top practical weight.

Interestingly, 30 years ago, my hometown bought six of the Marlin .444s for the SWAT team and scoped them. The thinking was that they were plenty accurate at urban ranges, nothing hit within a 100 yards with the soft 240s would go anywhere but down, and overpenetration would not be a problem.

I ain't sure they were wrong.

[ 11-13-2002, 18:11: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Charliebuck>
posted
Can't speak for the 444 but I have a 45/70, and it's awsome, very accurate, with plaenty of knock down power. I roll my own, and you can load it up or down to you preference, for target shooting or any big game in North America.