New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickel 300WSM brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a new 300WSM. Can someone tell me where I can find nickel brass for it? I have been looking and can't seem to locate any. I may just be overlooking something.

Thanks

D

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Winchester was the only maker and I don't see it listed on the major sites anymore. I had a bunch from factory loads. I found it to be unacceptable in quality (nickel started to chip) and I tossed the whole bunch after only 1 reload.

I'd opt for the brass version personally.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read this:

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Nickel_Brass

You'll re-think the choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use brass for my 300 WSM also. I never considered using my once fired factory nickel cases as the finish flakes too easily.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEVER reload nickel cases unless you have carbide dies. The nickel can flake too easily and you'll be buying a new set of dies if you're not carefull! Since bottleneck cartridges are not available in carbide dies, stick with brass.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I load nickel cases in:

.357 Mag
.44 Mag
.30 Herrett
.30-30 Win
.308 Win
.30-06
.30 Gibbs
.300 Win
.338 Win
.375-.338

Mostly Rem brass. Nickel plating flaking off is not an issue that's caused me any grief.

Hint: Use Imperial Sizing Wax.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
I've found that my nickle coated cases have more spring-back than my regular brass cases. So make sure to measure headspace if you're already reloading with that die.

I've since stopped using my nickle coated cases, cause its too much hassle to adjust the die back and forth.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read this:

Varmint Al is FOS! So is anyone that tries to tell you nickle is so hard it wrecks steel dies!(Or rifle barrels) Those jamokes just don't know anything about the relative hardness of various metals, it's called metallurgy. It's nickle plating, not CHROME!

V Al says the nickle is as hard as many hardened tool steels, bullshit! Then he states the nickle will be heat treated even harder if you anneal the necks! The heat required would melt the brass!

I got a bunch of 300 WSM nickle at the ducks unlimited outdoor show back in '03. They had a bunch of the then new rifles there for people to shoot. I made off with over 500 cases, both plain brass and nickle, all Winchester. The nickle loads the same as the brass. I've YET to see ANY nickle plated case of ANY kind flake any of the coating off. It's simply people repeating what they HEARD !

But this is the internet, if you HEARD it on there, MUST BE TRUE!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've YET to see ANY nickle plated case of ANY kind flake any of the coating off. It's simply people repeating what they HEARD !

Have you trimmed any of those cases yet? I have nickel cases that flake at the neck after trimming.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
quote:
Read this:

Varmint Al is FOS! So is anyone that tries to tell you nickle is so hard it wrecks steel dies!(Or rifle barrels) Those jamokes just don't know anything about the relative hardness of various metals, it's called metallurgy. It's nickle plating, not CHROME!

V Al says the nickle is as hard as many hardened tool steels, bullshit! Then he states the nickle will be heat treated even harder if you anneal the necks! The heat required would melt the brass!

I got a bunch of 300 WSM nickle at the ducks unlimited outdoor show back in '03. They had a bunch of the then new rifles there for people to shoot. I made off with over 500 cases, both plain brass and nickle, all Winchester. The nickle loads the same as the brass. I've YET to see ANY nickle plated case of ANY kind flake any of the coating off. It's simply people repeating what they HEARD !

But this is the internet, if you HEARD it on there, MUST BE TRUE!

Ditto for me, and I have trimmed a ton of it. I have over 10 reloads through several sets of 50 cases, and no flaking or other issues with the cases, I have NOT annealed them, they haven't needed it, some of the cases look as if there is a brass sheen showing throw, I guess I've polished off some of the nickel through repeated tumbling, but there is no flaking, and my die(s) are just perfect.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up about 40 once fired 300 WSM cases at the range. All nickel plated WW's. Some have been reloaded 5 times now and all still look ok. Primer pockets are tight and no flaking. Normally I dont go for nickel cases but these have been ok so far.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Nickle cases can harm your dies. Here is what happens to a Lee Collet Neck Sizer mandrel when I was expanding and rounding out a bag of 50

Now the new brass necks were smaller than the mandrel and I inside chamferred before running the mandrel down the necks. But imagine if you have fire formed cases and are running them through a FL die. The outside of the case neck will contact the inside of the die when it starts to size down the neck.

Do you think you might be scratching the inside of your die and not know about it? I'm curious and do not know since I have never sized nickel with a FL die and never will.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use nickel cases for one of my 300WSM's and have loaded it at least 5 times now without any flaking or other signs of wear. I have some 416Rem mag nickel cases that have been loaded 8-9 times that show little wear and no apparent damage to the dies. I use the same dies for brass cases as well. As a rule, I have used primarily brass cases but have not experienced any problems with the nickel cases I've used.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoghunting:
I have nickel cases that flake at the neck after trimming.
I've used the Nickel Plated cases in Revolvers and Pistols for many years and have never experienced a problem with them - so far.

On the other hand, I thought the Nickel Plating would keep my Hunting cartridges nice and shiney(for whatever reason I thought that was good), but they will Tarnish just like regular Brass.

Have had only one bad Lot of Nickel Plated Cases which were some 308Wins. One shot and the Nickel on the Neck began splitting and flaking. Got concerned about it getting into the Bore, so they got tossed.

Best of luck to you guys using Plated Cases.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Best of luck to you guys using Plated Cases.

+1

Why do you think they nickel plate lead shot in long range shotshells?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions and advice guys. I have been using nickle in my .338, 7mm and .25-06 for years and haven't any issues either so I will continue until I see a problem. I just like the looks of the nickle cases.

Thanks again

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never expereinced any problems with nickel cases in several rifle cartridges : 30.06, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, .270 Win.

My only concern with nickel cases is lack of visible signs of incipient case failure: i.e., the bright ring near the case head when a case is getting very old and thin in this region. It is much easier to see on brass cases.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote