New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Hot Cores @ standard velocities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently loading for a 7MM-08 using Sierra Game Kings, and have heard that the HotCores are a little stouter and hold together better.

I'm considering trying the Speer 145 Grn SP HotCore variety.

Does anyone have any field experience with Speer HotCores at standard velocities? How is accuracy? How do they perform on Whitetail size game?

Thanks
firstshot

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 145gr Speer in a 280 @ about 3000 fps since the 60's. It's a very reliable deer bullet. Also took a couple af caribou with it in '95, same reliable performance.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That bullet is extremely reliable on deer-sized game at 7-08 velocity -- and accuracy is usually very good as well. But at 7-08 velocity, you are not going to see much difference in performance between a GameKing and a Hot Core; both will do the job just fine.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
I'm currently loading for a 7MM-08 using Sierra Game Kings, and have heard that the HotCores are a little stouter and hold together better.
I've used a bunch of GameKings, but really prefer the good old Hot-Cor bullets.

quote:
I'm considering trying the Speer 145 Grn SP HotCore variety.
They work just fine at 7mmRem Mag velocity when you keep them in the front 1/3 of Deer, Bear and Hogs.

quote:
Does anyone have any field experience with Speer HotCores at standard velocities? How is accuracy? How do they perform on Whitetail size game?...
I do.

After some load development, it is not uncommon to get 3-shot groups in the 4s-8s.

Never lost anything I've shot at with a Hot-Cor or the SPBT(non-Hot-Cor).
---

For what it is worth, I've found both 130gr Speer bullets to be ideal in my 7mm-08. There isn't much of the bullet in the Case-neck in my rifle using either bullet, but I've never had a bullet fall out.

Nothing at all wrong using the 145gr versions though. They will work just fine as long as you keep them out of the Guts or in the Wrong End.

By the way, I doubt you can find a "Hunting Grade" bullet that works badly in a 7mm-08. I normally use the 145gr weights and up in my previously mentioned 7mmRemMag simply because I have it. But they should do just fine for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Generally flat based bullets will hold together better than boat tails but if you have enough SD then it is a non-issue. I dont think there is much difference between Sierras and Hot cores. Gamekings are good bullets too. Use the ones that shoot best from your rifle.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong but though I like the heavier Gamekings for deer the Speer Hotcor bullets are deeper penetrating bullets that hold together very well. A favorite is the 160 grain flat based version I use in my 7x57. While the Hotcore process is supposedly not a bonded core I have recovered many that the core appeared to hold tenaciously to the jacket and the jackest are pretty thick along the shank.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rickt300-
I have taken quite a few hogs with the 6.5mm, 140 grain Hot Core, and I can attest to it holding together and penetrating well. I did have a single instance of a bullet shedding its core, but one instance doesn't mean a thing. The shot was fairly close -- perhaps 60 yards -- and the front shoulder was impacted. The wound channel appeared to indicate the separation did not occur until late in the bullet's flight -- and after penetrating quite a few inches of hog on a tough quartering shot. Of course, that can't be proven for certain, and the hog isn't around to give his version.

What really makes bullets like the Ballistic Tip, GameKing and Hot Core shine is keeping the muzzle velocity reasonable. Much of my hunting is done with what many consider medium-capacity rounds (6.5x55, 6.5x.308, 7mm Bullberry, .308 WCF, etc). Launch a mid-weight bullet with a fairly high sectional density at moderate velocity, and it will penetrate extremely well while retaining ample weight and length. And within reason, it will take game just as cleanly as any super whiz-bang magnum could do.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Hot-cores in a 7mm yet, but the Speer 165 gr. H/C is my go to bullet for use in my .308 Winchester. Everk deer I've shot witht hem has been a bang/flop except one, and that one moved maybe 10 feet, then flopped.
If the bullet shoots well in your rifle, I think you'll like it on game.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite bullet for deer in the 30-06 has been and is the 150 grain Hotcor spitzer and I have used the 180 grain version on at least ten elk with good results from the same rifle. Since I put together my 7x57 it has taken over all my Texas hunting and I have not found a bullet that does not perform well yet and this includes a 150 grain Ballistic tip on one deer.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your responses and good information.

I just finished working up a load for the 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose and will be using that this hunting season. I'm getting 2,845 FPS and 3/4" groups out of the round noses in my Rem 700 Mtn LSS 22" barrel using H414.

I did pick up some 145 Grn Speer SP HotCores and will be working up a load for those next. It will be interesting to see how they shoot.

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote