Find
Notify
Tools

(again) Powder charge vs. accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
wave A friend compiled this data for me.

3/13/06, .260 REM., 107gr Sierra BTHP., @ 100yds. powder Varget 7 round groups.
  • 37gr , group= 1.325"
  • 38gr , group= 1.25"
  • 39gr , group= 1.00"
  • 39.5gr ,group=.875"
  • 40gr. ,( 6 shots 1/2" group,7 shots 1" group)
  • 40.5gr.,group =1.325".

All charges were accurately weighed. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of hivelosity
    posted Hide Post
    roger, 39.5 to 40 looks like a sweet spot for that load..
    Are you going to try varying the seating depth?
    Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by hivelosity:
    roger, 39.5 to 40 looks like a sweet spot for that load..
    Are you going to try varying the seating depth?
    Dave

I'm not sure what my buddy's intensions are. This has been one of his problem rifles until just resently. The action was glass bedded and it didn't do too good. Last week he beddedn the barrel in RTV as a result of reducing barrel vibration stuff we've been trying. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    39.8-40.1gr would be my next try at more distance. I would run 5 shot groups with maybe 2-3 targets per charge at 200-300yds. One of those will prove to be the best harmonic.

The groups always have to be evaluated with human error taken into consideration. Run the 2-3 charges in that ladder from best group and 1 on both sides of it against each other with 2-3 groups of each shot at 200-300yds.

Difficulty is inevitable
    Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    ...Last week he beddedn the barrel in RTV as a result of reducing barrel vibration stuff we've been trying. ...
    Hey Roger, I saw some mention of RTV Bedding on the Gun Smithing Board a week or so ago. Very interesting.

I'd be real interested in knowing how well it holds up over a "few years" if we can still remember it then. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The RTV bedding would be interesting in a light barreled rifle, plus should waterproof the inside of a wood stock, may have to try that.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    marine tex is both water AND chemical impervious. So is west system epoxy.

as a side note,..we tried PAM cooking spray as a release agent recently and it worked GREAT!!!! smooth bedding surfaces and NO stick at all where you didn;t want it.

Difficulty is inevitable
    Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JustC:
    as a side note,..we tried PAM cooking spray as a release agent recently and it worked GREAT!!!! smooth bedding surfaces and NO stick at all where you didn;t want it.

thumbThanks for the input; nice to know! beerroger

One of Us
    Picture of STINGER
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JustC:
    marine tex is both water AND chemical impervious. So is west system epoxy.

simoniz wax works great also.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote