Find
Notify
Tools

Using up the dribs and drabs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
While rooting around under my bench a while back, I came across all kinds of remnants, oddballs and experiments that didn't pan out. I decided to combine at least some of them and happily found a combination that is safe and (to me) useful.

I had an almost full can of Alliant 2400 (too fast for my 44 mag/300XTP load), 50 rds of once fired PMC .223 brass (my match and hunting loads are in different headstamps) and some .224" bullets someone made out of spent 22LR brass which have been only sufficiently accurate for machinegun use. They foul bores pretty badly too.

I mollied the bullets to cut down on fouling and loaded 12.1 gr of 2400 with Win SR primers. The 60 gr bullet does 2100 or so with that load and it BURSTS gophers almost as well as a full-throttle V-Max load! Woo-hoo!

It's only about as loud as a .38 wadcutter out of a 24" Savage and you can easily spot your own shots out to 200.

Some days are better than others.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a long-haul trucker and shooter stuck in East Coast Hell (re no place to shoot). Are there any trucking outfits out there I can get a job with and come out and join you on the range?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, you're looking for a place to shoot? Ain't you ever heard of Washington, DC??? Its a regular shooting gallery. Shows what voting democratic can do for a country. Its unsafe to walk the streets in the Nation's Capital because too many folks exercising their "rights" to take what is yours.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote