New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal. sabots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you loaded any sabots in 30 cal.s ?
I read about them yesterday and now I cant find the magazine I was reading. The sabots hold a 224 bullet and you can load them in a 30 cal. case.
I have a savage bolt action 30-30 that I'm considering these for.My hunting partners would realy think I lost it if I showed up for a yote hunt with a 30-30.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried it in .308 and .300WM and declared it a failed experiment very quickly. My results are more or less average. I have know a few shooters that were getting good accuracy with sabots but never better, and seldom as good, as the rifle was capable of with .30 match bullets.

Do not let my reply stop you because experimenting is enjoyable even if the results are not what one hoped for.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tried sabots in my Marlin 30-30 and A-Bolt .30-06 rifles. Groups were very discouraging: 12-20 inches at 50 yards. The bores of both rifles were thoroughly cleaned of all copper fouling before I started so that wasn't the problem. I have read somewhere that bullet runout is another cause of poor accuracy if over ~0.002". Haven't tried that yet.

Posts: 13 | Location: California | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jamie, It seems that some rifles like sabots and some don't, so I agree with the above posts.

Don't let that discourage you from using your 30-30 though. Some of the places you hunt Coyotes are perfectly fine for the typical 150gr-170gr 30-30 bullet. Plus it will give you more opportunity to familarize yourself with their trajectory.

Another option is to flip open your Speer Manual and you will find 30-30 loads for their 100gr Plinker and the 110gr Varminter. Both of those bullets and the Loads shown for them have a pretty good chance of providing "adequate" Coyote accuracy for your rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote