THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    An idea for a bullet exchange site for reloaders

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An idea for a bullet exchange site for reloaders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the final stages of an idea I had about 6 months ago. Due to work and other things I am just now putting the final touches on it. I would like opinions on the idea, and also if a few people want to help with a test run I would greatly appreciate it.

So...

Its a website, dedicated strictly to the sell and/or trade of bullets. Bullets left over after load development, and those partial boxes just sitting on the shelf for whatever reason.

So here is the basic breakdown of how it works.

-Users signup for an account (free)
-Users are able to create listings for sell and/or trade including photo and misc notes. All database driven by caliber, weight, manufacturer, bullet type, etc..
-Listings expire after 90 days, unless renewed by user (in the users listing management area).
Site will email on day 83 with a heads up about the expiration if nothing is done.
-Users are able to search listings by same criteria (pull down boxes for caliber, weight, etc…)
-Users can create their own WANT LIST of bullets they are looking for. These are viewable by all other registered users.
-Users will contact each other thru the site, once the initial contact is made all other contact is handled off-site.
-When user A contacts user B: User A will have a selection of check boxes showing all of user B’s listings, making it easy for user A to show the items he is interested in and cutting down on any confusion. User A can also provide a direct link to his WANT LIST in case user B has anything he may want in exchange.
All transactions are completed off-site. No money, credit card information, etc… is given on the website. Once an agreement has been made, everything is handled between the two users off-site.

Those are some of the basic front end features.

the site is not intended to make money. Signup is simple and free. There are no clunky and annoying banner ads. Its just something that I thought may fill a need and fun to put together.

thoughts?

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I believe such a site would appeal to very few especially on Accuratereloading.com. If I'm going to work up a load, I'll probably want more than a few bullets and I don't want to be bothered with shipping a few away.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I think it is a very good idea. I have several partial boxes I would like to part with and some partial boxes I would like to replenish. I would bet there are lots of other reloaders in the same boat. Also, this would allow one to buy only a few bullets at a time to try out rather than buying a whole box to be stuck with later. One other thing, one may be able to find some older discontinued bullets that he may like but can no longer acquire elsewhere. Count me in.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
24 hour campfire does this

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to help people out, but me thinks just wouldn't work too well; myself, I hang on to everything for fear of not being able to get it in the future. We have a state comp list that has just about everything for guns & ammo.

Best deal I have found of late is Shooters Pro, now check that place out. Get signed in and check site mid afternoon everyday. I pick up 6-8-12 boxes of bullets every week or two and they really treat ya well. They really help the reloaders out and now they got me shooting just about all their bullets in my rifles & pistols.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
24 hour campfire does this

yes they do, and I've been a part of that. only problem is that to search for something you have to do it manually and sift thru a ton of pages to see whats out there, and it may be outdated info also.

this just does the same thing in a much more efficient way.

thank you for the input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe R. Lock:
I think it is a very good idea. I have several partial boxes I would like to part with and some partial boxes I would like to replenish. I would bet there are lots of other reloaders in the same boat. Also, this would allow one to buy only a few bullets at a time to try out rather than buying a whole box to be stuck with later. One other thing, one may be able to find some older discontinued bullets that he may like but can no longer acquire elsewhere. Count me in.
joe

thats exactly the idea. I have been able to sell and trade a bunch of stuff I will never use. especially lead stuff out here in CA.

then there are a lot of things I want to hold on to for future projects. I'd be willing to be that most reloaders do have some stuff that they wouldn't mind cleaning out. Many times guys want to just help out other reloaders and simply just charge a few bucks for postage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for those who would like to take a few moments and check out the site. it is

www.thebulletexchange.com

any input on the layout and function of the site is appreciated.

registration is free and only takes a minute.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I like the idea a lot. Would suggest user rating system similar to "E"action site so good guys are obvious and not so get shunned.

I have some laying around I bought, tested and never pursued load development for. I have some lead free I bought because I was in Cali in the "condor" area and would trade them off for stuff I want. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote