THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RCBS Competition dies, .22/250 and shell holders

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Competition dies, .22/250 and shell holders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just acquired a set of used RCBS competition dies in .22/250.

Though I haven't mounted the seating die in my press yet (busy with .308 brass ), I've been playing with it using a dummy round based on a V-Max 55 grainer which I've always used to set up my Lee seater.

The daft thing is that holding the case just below the end of the die as if in a standard shell holder, the die runs out of adjustment before reaching the bullet.

I load these rounds to 2.505 which I don't consider short for this calibre.

Do I need an RCBS extended shell holder and if so, what's the extra length provided?

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
I've just acquired a set of used RCBS competition dies in .22/250.

Though I haven't mounted the seating die in my press yet (busy with .308 brass ), I've been playing with it using a dummy round based on a V-Max 55 grainer which I've always used to set up my Lee seater.

The daft thing is that holding the case just below the end of the die as if in a standard shell holder, the die runs out of adjustment before reaching the bullet.

I load these rounds to 2.505 which I don't consider short for this calibre.

Do I need an RCBS extended shell holder and if so, what's the extra length provided?

Pete The set should have had an extended shell holder with it as the only shellholder...the extended is apx 1" longer and smaller in diameter..not at bench to measure but don't have one in 22-250...223/243/308 all have extended holders in the set.....and need them to use the seater.....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<frogman>
posted
Hi Pete

Yep you need extended shell holder.

Go to Huntington com.
there phone and fax are (530)534-1210 Fax (530)534-1212
They have list of all the shell holders for cal.
Very handy seater die,I like loading the bullet from the top.
There store is next to RCBS in Calif.

------------------
frogman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frogman.

I'm in England. You don't have a web address for them do you please? I've just searched with google for Huntingdon.com or similar and drawn a blank.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Go to www.huntingtons.com . Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote