THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Interesting/Frustrating results with different brass

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting/Frustrating results with different brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I took my .300 H&H to the range Saturday. I shot my pet load which is 73 grains of H4831, in manicured (primer pockets trued, flash holes deburred, necks turned) Winchester brass, over a Fed 215 match primer and got, what is typical for this load in this rifle, 1/2 MOA groups. Tried 165 gr Hornady Spire points and 165 grain North Forks, with same results, 1/2 MOA groups.

Now, here comes the interesting/frustrating part. I try the same 73 grains of H4831, over equally manicured "higher end" brass and the 165 Hornady's wouldn't group for caca (a technical term we use here in Texas) worth a darn.

I am guessing that the higher end brass may be thicker and heavier, however, I need to test my assumption. Thicker and heaver brass would lead me to think that, the same charge in a smaller space would lead to higher pressures and a load that is not optimal?

Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody that would use the term "caca" doesn't belong in Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Friends-

I took my .300 H&H to the range Saturday. I shot my pet load which is 73 grains of H4831, in manicured (primer pockets trued, flash holes deburred, necks turned) Winchester brass, over a Fed 215 match primer and got, what is typical for this load in this rifle, 1/2 MOA groups. Tried 165 gr Hornady Spire points and 165 grain North Forks, with same results, 1/2 MOA groups.

Now, here comes the interesting/frustrating part. I try the same 73 grains of H4831, over equally manicured "higher end" brass and the 165 Hornady's wouldn't group for caca (a technical term we use here in Texas).

I am guessing that the higher end brass may be thicker and heavier, however, I need to test my assumption. Thicker and heaver brass would lead me to think that, the same charge in a smaller space would lead to higher pressures and a load that is not optimal?

Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

It's not hard to figure out. Any particular rifle likes particular loads, brass, primers,
etc. just like men prefer blondes or brunettes
with large knockers, long legs etc.

The solution is easy. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Go back to your original compnents and enjoy your 1/2 MOA!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start by chronographing the loads to see how much difference there is in velocity. That won't tell you everything, but it will at least give you some indicator of whether there is a marked difference in pressure.

My guess is that the difference in grouping has more to do with the nature of the brass than with the velocity/pressure. Could the second batch of brass might have been resized differently? Could it have thicker or thinner or softer or harder necks which would influence the bullet pull? What other differences could there be?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track.

Take your fired Win. brass and measure the inner volume by weighing it as it is, then filling it with water to the very top and weigh it again.

Do the same with five cases and average. Then repeat the exercise with the "custom brass" you mentioned.

The result will be an indication, not a soultion.

You may get back to your 1/2 MOA groups by adjusting the charge to the inner case volume. But you may just as well end up with your rifle simply not liking that "custom brass".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not hard to figure out. Any particular rifle likes particular loads, brass, primers,
etc. just like men prefer blondes or brunettes
with large knockers, long legs etc.

Well said!!! I appreciate everyone's comments.

OK, I got off of my butt and weighed a small sample of brass. First of all, there was about an 8 grain difference in weight between the WW brass and the other brass. Secondly, of the Brand X brass there were 1 to 2 grain differentials between the pieces of brass. The WW brass was consistant in weights by the margin of .1 to .2 grains. I turn my necks to the same thickness and use the neck bushing dies to neck size my brass. Plus, this is virgin brass anyway. I could be wrong, but, I don't think it is a neck tension issue.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote