Find
Notify
Tools

Reaming Hornaday 44magnum primer pockets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted
I bought several hundred 1-fired Hornaday 44magnum cases and finally got around to reloading them last week using a hand priming tool. I deprimed, tumbled clean and started to hand prime Fed LP primers and immediately started having problems getting them to seat. I had to use my large primer reamer to open up the primer pocket on 25% or so of the cases.

Is this normal?

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't ever ran in to a 44 mag case that needed reaming

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
Since some of these were factory loads, I wonder if they crimp the primers for weatherproofing?

Posts: 87 | Location: West Virginia, USA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only ammo that I know to be crimped is Military.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since some of these were factory loads, I wonder if they crimp the primers for weatherproofing

Visual inspection would show if they were. I have never seen anything but military with a crimp but there are plenty of ammo out there I haven't seen. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bruce in WV
posted Hide Post
All my reloads in the Hornaday brass is stuck behind the snow drifts blocking the barn and my loading bench. I'll check for evidence of crimping once I can get to barn.

All I have for now is the anecdotal experience of ruining LP primers trying to force them into unreamed primer pockets. Since I finished reaming all my cases before I posted the first note in this thread, that may be all I'll ever know on the topic.

I suppose the other line of thought is that the primers may have been oversized. I had no problem fitting them into Starline brass, so that argues that they are in spec.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that problem with some .45 ACP brass, and had to ream them.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Large pistol and rifle pockets are difference in depth. Rifle being deeper. The diameter is the same. A search on google shows others have had problems with Hornady 44 mag brass. Claims that there appears to be a crimp type ring??

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote