Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lasercast .357 Magnum Question
 Login/Join

posted
I have some lasercast 158 gr RN bullets. I loaded up some with 6.9 gr Unique. I thought they shot OK, but then I shot some of my 158 gr Sierra loads and the group was half the size.

Looking for info from anyone who has used these bullets.

Owner, Bear River Holsters

Posts: 5 | Location: Utah | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them using W-296/H110 or 2400, and Win WSPM primers. IF using 296/H110 Oregon Trial book suggest a starting load of 13.8 and top load of 14.5. For 2400 start load is 14.2 with a top end of 15.3grs. Minimum OAL is listed at 1.570".

I have had good luck running them at the top end with 296 for several years. They work very well on feral hogs if the ranges are close.

They also suggest the following which is true for most cast bullets.

"Be certain of your guns cylinder exit bore and barrel groove diameters, select bullet diameters at or .001" over the mean diameter."

Good Luck

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with their bullets, and I especially like their 158 grain SWC. At .358" I've had no issues with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many cast bullets are beveled-based, particularly those intended for cowboy shooting and loading on progressive presses. Square-based bullets are known for producing better accuracy.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. One more question: what kind of crimp do these bullets require? Light, Moderate, Heavy?

Owner, Bear River Holsters

Posts: 5 | Location: Utah | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brad,

Crimps are like girls it seems to me and generally everybody has their favorite type. Myself I like a taper for cast and roll for jacketed. I try to set them to be just into the bottom edge of the groove with enough of the lip holding the bullet to keep it in place when shooting. I have seen others who have them squashed down enough that it actually is biting into the lead.

I found a few years back that the crimp is more important to the load than simply holding the bullet secure, it helps get things rolling in the case before letting go of the bullet. Having to much or two little can also ruin accuracy in a load as well. Also your crimp might vary depending on how your loading as well. Plinking loads of fast powder with little recoil sometimes get by with no crimp depending on the bullet length. Where as slower powders and heavy loads require the bullet to stay put a millisecond longer to get the boiler fired up and rolling. These also help hold the rest of the bullets in place as recoil is usually higher.

So when your working up your loads use this practice. Light loads light bullet lite crimp, medium weight charges, medium weight bullets, medium crimp. Heavys all get a decent heavy crimp but not necessarily till it bites into the bullet. Generally I simply seat the bullet down about and extra .003 - .005", (depending on the actual make of the bullet,) when beginning to work up the load knowing it will be a heavy load. This gives me a tad bit more of the case rim to squeeze into the crimp groove. Same general pressure as for a medium weight load only a bit more brass holding it in.

You milage may vary, but I can tell you that if you set aside enough time to give it a try, you will see for yourself how well it works, and how much difference it makes in groups. Most of the loads I shoot from all of my revolvers are sighted in at 50yds, and from a rest they can all easily hit a 3" bull at 100yds. Keeping within around 2" offhand at 50yds is good enough for me.However tweak that crimp one way or the other and whammo groups gone in an instant.

This is one reason I stick with one powder, generally one brand of bullets, and primers. I know in an instant when working up loads if the adjustment is off, and where to go to fix it.

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The LC is a very hard lead alloy & shoots it's best pushed to near max. pressures. If you want to use Unique, try them w/ 7.2-7.3gr & see if accuracy doesn't get a bit better. The problemn is the bullet base doesn't upset to fill the grooves until pressures are upto 38K or so. Also, for best results, don't shoot lead after shooting jacketed w/o cleaning & vise versa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote