Find
Notify
Tools

Powder scales?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!
I have some problems with developing loads for my .22 hornet as even 0,1gn changes in weight displays different poi. for instance a 12,4gn load can give 3 shots clover leaf at 0.3465" outer part to outer part, not cc. while, 12,5gn gives 1" in a vertical string. This is at around 90 m or 100 yd.
Are there any reliable scales on the market that are more accurate than 0,1gn?

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are scales that are more accurate but not that the average reloader can afford.
The Hornet has a very small combustion chamber and very small changes in powder can make dramatic differences. What powder are you using? I don't load for the Hornet but wasn't "Lil' Gun" developed just for it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most good balance beam scales will reliably measure less than .05 gr if you carefully gage the position of the pointer relative to the reference marks.

HOWEVER, most powders adaptable to the Hornet are fairly fine grained and are better metered from a powder drop (measure) than weighed manually. Have you tried this? I never weigh any powder charges for my Hornets and consistently drop charges that vary by less than the amount I can measure on my scale.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the reason K hornets were invented

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use lil´gun but I also consider to switch to vihatvuori or some other Hodgdon powder. I sometimes get large velocity variations, without any poi change, All charges are measured since the powdermeasure I have is inconsistent. I tried to adjust it for a full hour without it beeing able to duplicate the same charge. It is a lee perfect powder measure. It is off by around 0,1gn + or -.

How does the conversion to K-hornet eliminate the problem of sensitivity to these small changes?
I am interested in converting, but not certain of the benefits are worth it.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohaus mechanical scales !. RCBS , Dillon , most are accurate too 1/10 Th. of a grain . Pressure variations aren't the problem at that precision of loading . Powder Primers cases are suspect if loads are inconsistent pressure wise .

Fill a small container like a needle thimble or cartridge with powder gently tamp it so as the powder packs in uniformly . Taking a table knife or other flat blade draw across the top even or level . NOW weight it , repeat this process 3 times noting the weight each time . Does it change ?. If it does Scale is suspect if not powder may be , next sort an weigh cartridge cases use only those close in weight .

Let us know . Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote