New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 Rem. Mag. Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to work up a 7 MM Rem Mag. load for whitetail.
Thinking about using the Hornady 154 Gr. Interbond?
What do you think?

Thank You in Advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will work just fine.

The only way you "might" have a problem is if the Impact Velocity is too high - Deer really close - and the Bullet goes directly into a shoulder. If that is the situation, try for a direct Chest shot or just behind the near shoulder so the bullet is headed into the off-side shoulder.

Once you get the Deer out at 100yds or so, then directly into the shoulder and chest shots will do fine.

And it will easily kill out as far as you practice with it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Alliant Reloder 22 is about the best advice I could give you. R22 is well known as being a proven performer in the 7RM.

H4831 has been a pretty good powder in 7RMs for me as well.

The Federal 215 GMM primers work well in the 7RM.

I like 66 grns of R22 or H4831 in that weight range but, You'd better start in the 63-64 range.

Have Fun and Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I haven't had much luck w/ accuracy & the 154grIB in my .280 or 7mag. I favor Something a bit stouter for 7mag vel., you may end up w/ a close shot & high impact vel. I am partial to he 150gr Nolser Part. or 160gr Nosler AB or Partition, the 140gr Swift would be a flat shooting WT bullet too. Good powders for the 7mag start w/ H4831sc, RL22 & IMR7828.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7MM Mag deer load is a 139 Gr. Hornady Interlock (old style) bullet. I use the Max load in Hornady Vol. II 68.2 Gr. of IMR 4350 MV 3300 fps + from a 24" barrel.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with reloader,R22 gave me some awesome groups through my douglas stainless barrel.Real tight at 200yds.Barrel did not last very long ,that is what made me change calibers.I remember once taking a shot at a caribou on a steep hill with a 140gr balistic silvertip.I shot and there was a 3 second delay,then the caribou came rolling down.It must have been at 250 yds through my Zeiss Diavari 8x fixed scope.It all looked pretty nice through that scope.Thinking of buying another one,cost an arm and a leg though!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
One of the best loads I have used for years in my 7mm Mag is

IMR 4350 @ 61.0
160 Sierra Gameking
Fed 215 Primer
WW Cases

The 7mm Mag performs excellent with the 160 grain bullet for deer to elk.....the best all around weight for hunting with the 7mm Mag. Alot of hunters here use the 160 Nosler Part for moose and grizzly....with the same load.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
My best load is for my #1 in 7 m mag is

68 grains of H1000
Remington 150 grain pointed soft points.

I usually take the 7 mag if I'm hunting those wide open places. The minimum distance I have shot was 150 yards.

I'm not sure what will happen at say 25 yards but I;m sure someday I'll find out. But I will stick to heart/lung shots.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
try about 69grns of 7828. i use that w/ a 160 which is just a tad over 3000' very good killer.

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a few at short distance with my 7mmrmag.I remember once coming acrooss some caribou crossing the road all within 25 yds of me.I was with my father.He says shoot,and I proceed to shoot offhand.I shoot one in the row and there is no reaction,they just keep on walking.I shoot another and still no sign of anything being hit.My father says you missed,I say no way as I continue to pick out another and again no reaction.Shoot the fourth one and it stops walking while the others walk by.I say I got him look,why isn't he moving?Then all of a sudden he rears up on his two hind legs makes a short dash towards cover and ends up falling 15yds away were the others have fallen.Hunt was over we got our four.I was using the ballistic silvertip at 140gr.I saw then that light quick expanding bullets at very close range are no instant kills.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway

What bullet were you using. Did it go right through without much expansion? homer Now I see!

Where did you hit them?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All where heart shots.Two of the bullets were recovered in their hearts.Bullets were really stressed.Unless it was the bullet placement that was the problem.Perhaps they would have fell quicker if I used a high lung shot,as this worked with my 300wm and core-locs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that bullet will do you justice load e''m and go hunting reloader22 and imr4831 would be great choices,i load my 1st cousins 7mag with imr 4831 shoots great, but i know reloader 22 will beat it in speed , regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
140 gr. Tripple Shock Barns, somewhere around 66gr. IMR4831. Kills 'em dead, near or far! (work up to that, it's pretty warm!)

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was lucky enough to have 4 one shot kills last hunting season. All were with 64 gr of RL22, 160 AB's,CCI200 primers and Remy brass.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote