THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Old X bullets VS the newer, banded style-fouling?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old X bullets VS the newer, banded style-fouling?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I tried the original Barnes X bullets with the smooth sides way back when and found they copper foul my barrel something fierce (where 'normal' bullets did not). This was a hand-lapped Shilen barrel. I'm looking to see if anyone had this same problem and then tried the newer banded style and saw a reduction or elimination in fouling.
I swore never to touch them again, but with the new style out, I'm wondering if I should try 'em.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do have to loose??

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle shoots the TSXs much more accurately than the older X bullets. Don't know why.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing you definitely need is a clean bore. Standard bullet jackets are harder than the copper found on a monolithic like Barnes, thus if your barrel is already fouled when you make the switch, it will only get worse. In the FWIW department, this is where you need a nylon brush and a good copper solvent like Sweets.

I was never crazy about the original X bullet, and I grew to hate the XLC's as they were even more temperamental about which loading data would work. I haven't sent a Barnes monolithic downrange in almost a decade, but I think I would give the new Triple Shock a try.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The Barnes TSX and banded solids are my bullets of choice in a 30/06 I have and don't foul any worse than any jacketed bullet I've tried. Both bullets are quite accurate.

I use Barnes XLCs in a 7mm Rem. Mag. with excellent results and very little fouling. The bad news is they don't make them any longer. The good news, I managed to accumulate a lifetime supply.

The thing I've learned about Barnes bullets is that you don't try to load them right of the lands and they need to be pushed fast. I can use the Barnes XLCs in a 7mm Rem. Mag. because I can push them fast with that cartridge. I can't use them in a 7mm/08 handgun because as the groups were starting to tighten up with increased powder charges, I started to get high pressure signs.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
All good replies. I'll have to give 'em a try. I think the TSX's woould be just the ticket for long range shooting out of my 375 Ruger. Now, I just need to find some time for load development! (and a day with the temps above 5 degrees!!)

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the TSX's offer alomost no fouling in good barrels. So little fouling you think you are cleaning wrong. This is in 3 different HS Precision Guns. I had over 60 rounds in a 338 RUM and it was still just as accurate and really not very dirty when I cleaned the rifle.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had less fouling and better accuracy with the TSX's. They are now my preferred hunting bullet.

I too had swore Barnes off after trying the original X's and XLC's.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use to use the X bullets because they killed so well. Yes they fouled some but it was worth it. Now with the TSX I still have those sweet 4 petals with no weight loss and hardly any fouling. By the way I use them in a stainless stalker 06 and for big game hunting fouling wasnt a real concern anyhow as ther e are not enough shots fired to matter. Frank

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
maybe I'm lucky as I had no problems with any barnes product from a clean barrel.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
I have had less fouling and better accuracy with the TSX's. They are now my preferred hunting bullet.

I too had swore Barnes off after trying the original X's and XLC's.

Exactly what I was looking for!!

Charles Bronson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a box of the 100 grain X bullets in .257 I would trade for 10 tripple shocks, I just love the Tripple shock. The standard X bullet left a mess in my barrel.
Now I shoot the tripple shock out of the same rifle at 3140 FPS and it does not foul my barrel any worse than my othe standard bullets.
I will say that they like to be fired from a claean barrel. and like to be seated deep.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin, need some reloading data for 7rem mag using the 160gr xlc with either rl22 or imr4350 any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do the TSX's and Banded Solids work on dangerous game? I'm currently using Woodleighs in my 450-400 3 1/4.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
How do the TSX's and Banded Solids work on dangerous game? I'm currently using Woodleighs in my 450-400 3 1/4.

Dutch

They'd perform about the same. If your Woodleighs are working well, no need to change, even though I do like the TSX bullet very well.

Now, as far as my experience goes, here's mine: I bought some barnes bullets (X) several years ago to try in a 22-250 since they were on sale. They NEVER shot worth a sheeyat, fouled the bore terribly, but they did perform as advertised in terms of killing game, wt retention and the rest.

I said to myself, "note to self, Barnes is a bad word in my world, never buy or use again."

Then, sometime in 2002-ish, I learn about the "new barnes tsx." Design made very good sense, cut grooves, less fouling, higher velocity....so I bought some 130 TSX for one of my 270s. And I also figured that on THIS test, I'd be using a hand lapped Hart barrel, fouling should be even less of an issue, and it was.

The differences between my experience on the X vs. the TSX was factory vs handlapped bores, and now a borescope.

Simply put, the difference in the TSX and old X is night and day. Had Barnes developed the TSX or even the TTSX back in the 80s to begin with, I'd be willing to bet that they'd be as popular if not more popular than some of the other tried and true bullets, like the partition.

I guess the real question now is how will the TTSX perform compared to the TSX. I'd say by 2010 we'll have more than enough feedback on how well or not so well, the TTSX is doing.

I plan on trying several of the TTSX.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns