Notify
Tools

Bonanza(Forster) Press Short Handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had a Bonanza Press
for many years and am happy with it.

I load small bore center fire and would like to try the Short Throw Handle which is available as an option.

My question is how much of a bother is it to install the Short Throw Handle?

BRH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The handle is retained by a 1/4-28 set screw. You will need an allen wrench or allen socket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for mine, and it was very easy to install. Loosen one set screw, slip the old handle out, slip the new one in, and tighten the set screw. Done.

That said, it was just as easy to switch back, since I did not like it. I found I like the multiple hand positions along the length of the tubular grip of the long handle. The ball handle tended to make me use the same grip all the time, which was uncomfortable after a while. But, I load standing up, where I can easily swing out of the way of the longer handle coming down in front of the press.

YMMV,

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As noted, the installation of the new handle is a piece of cake, and it is just as easy to change back to the standard (long) handle again.

I originally tried out the short handle because it had a ball ending. I personally missed the ball handle, which I had been used to from my previous press. I found that I very much liked the short handle, and not only because of the ball. Not only did I find it more comfortable for long loading sessions (primarily because of the ball), overall I found the press to be a lot nimbler with the short handle. Occasionally, you notice the short handle offers slightly less leverage, but I have yet to change back to the long handle, which is always an option if a heavy sizing operation is planned.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got my old short handle around here somewhere. If I can find it, you can have it. Mostly, I just grip the long one lower unless I need more leverage.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
I've got my old short handle around here somewhere. If I can find it, you can have it. Mostly, I just grip the long one lower unless I need more leverage.
amamnn,
If you do find it and want to sell please let me know.Thank you,
Beryl H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berylh:
I've had a Bonanza Press

I load small bore center fire and would like to try the Short Throw Handle which is available as an option.

BRH

Thank you all for your replies and info.
Beryl h.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a little trick to use if you're loading a bunch of short cases (like pistol rounds) you can make a longer rod to open the shell holders and block up the carriage so that it becomes a short stroke machine

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

Can you elaborate? A photo would be great!

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I've had a Bonanza Press

BRH

Thank you all for your replies and info.
Beryl h.

To All,
FYI my press utilizes a Roll Pin instead of a set screw and Forster says the short handle will not work on my Bonanza Co-Ax.

BRH/Beryl H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
all the short handle is is a shorter piece of steel tubing. you can probably pick one up at a machine shop or steel supplier. knock the pin out, stick the tubing in, drill thru the tube and put the pin back in.
the pin to lengthen is the pin that spreds the shell holders apart. its just a piece of round stock that is tapered on one end and threaded on the other. all you have to do is to unscrew it and copy it making a new one longer

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
all the short handle is is a shorter piece of steel tubing. you can probably pick one up at a machine shop or steel supplier. knock the pin out, stick the tubing in, drill thru the tube and put the pin back in.
the pin to lengthen is the pin that spreds the shell holders apart. its just a piece of round stock that is tapered on one end and threaded on the other. all you have to do is to unscrew it and copy it making a new one longer

Butchloc,
Thanks B, I think I might try that.

Berylh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also drill a cross hole for the roll pin in the shorter handle from forster, assuming it is the same diameter tube used on the older Bonanza.

I've thought about the extended jaw-opening pin, but you can't extend it too far, or the handle won't stay up when you finish a stroke (it would be hanging out over the front of the press, and want to swing down with nothing holding it back). As it is, the handle swings back over the top and rests against the handle stop on the frame. So you'd also need to add a stop on the extended jaw opening pin.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote