Tools

Your first round you ever reloads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
My first reloads was a .284 Winchester. I spent money I earned in Yellowstone National Park over the summer of 1964, with Hamilton Stores Inc. to buy a Model 88 Winchester in .284. I bought it from the base PX in Minot, N.Dak., where my dad was an officer. I was supposed to use the money to buy school clothes and boy, were the folks pissed at me. The PX also has some 120 grain Sierra bullets and powder. I bought some IMR 4350, some primers and used the cases I had emptied for cases. I had no book, only the little paper which came with the Lee Loader kit I bought for $9.95. Somehow, I didn't kill myself, or blow up the rifle. I do remember many of those loads being hotter than hell so that the lever was hard to pull down. Jeeze, God must have been watching out for me then. I think I remember just pouring a casefull of powder, taking a few grains of powder out and cramming a 120 grain bullet down to the canlures. No wonder the snow melted for three feet beyond my barrel when I shot it. Now that, brings back some memories! Thanks for the post. Tom Purdom

tom

the days of going to the bx and buying anything hunting related here are long gone. the air force is about as firearm friendly as hillary and chuck schumer. anybody who owns a firearm is automatically labeled a trouble maker or a terroist. the air force is so civalized. phut, phut. sometimes i wondered how they could consider themselves a military organization.

by the way i served 27 years in the af and i was a trouble maker. Cool

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
1st ever was 1959 helping my father load 12 ga. My job was to iron the hulls on the hot-iron. My older brother got to use the shot dispenser. The press was a Pacific 2-station, maybe Texan. I can't remember for sure.

In '62 we started helping with 270.

My own first reloads didn't start until 1979, .44 Mag Lee Loader and shortly thereafter a .357. @400 and Bulleye for years,

By 1983 I had a Lee Challenger that I used exclusively until about 3 years ago.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started helping Dad about 61 when I was 5 or so. 300sav for sure. Started shotguns around 10 started loading my own when I was 12. We use a lot of Bal-C. lots of reloads under the table by now.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
That would be in 1974 I had just joined the air force and started reloading and hunting deer. The first round I loaded for was a 30-06.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I cut my reloading teeth on the 243 Win. for a model 788 that I bought with my trapping money. That was back in 1973(?).

I'm a 3rd generation reloader.... learned allot from my Dad and Grandpa.... They don't shoot nearly as much any more, but we still kick the subject around while visiting. thumb

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was with a college buddy shortly after we graduated. He had already married and they had just bought their first house, so naturally he had set up a rockchucker press and invited me over to "load me up a couple of months of ammo" for my .357 revolver. (.38 special cases, since we had a bunch of cheap fired brass) As I recall, 3.5 gr of Red Dot and the Speer 158 gr lead SWC, CCI-500 primer. I don't remember the exact date, sometime in 1978. Do recall I brought back over 500 rounds with me and was amazed at how easy (and cheap) it was. It was less than a couple of months later that I loaded my first .243 Win. rounds on his press, with IMR-4350 and 80 gr Speer spitzers. Shot some ground squirrels with them the day after we loaded them, and I was hooked!

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first reloading efforts...

30/06, 180 grain SP and IMR 4350 powder....

second was a 270 with a 140 grain ballistic tip

third was a 243 Winchester and then

22.250 Remington

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Red FaceMy first was in 8mmX57. Made cases from 06 military and I was firing 32 special bullets. The rifle was a G43 I picked up for $30.00 from a WWII vet. Hollywood senior press, Redding powder measure and a three beam balance shameGRAM thumbdown scale.

The destruction to a 4" oak was spectacular. The amount of bark removed from a mature tree by the ejected case was awesome. Strange thing;one of the only cases I found had no primer in it. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1965 or 1966, 12 gauge shotgun loads, using a Lee Loader (the thing that costs about $10). I think I used Green Dot or PB powder. I don't remember the primer. A bit later I got one in 20 gauge and loaded skeet loads for 20 gauge. Using this Lee Loader, I couldn't get enough pressure to get a good crimp with plastic shotshells, so I loaded only paper shells. In those days Sears still sold shells, and you could get paper ones, so that's what I used. With paper shells, you could get only about three reloads before the powder burned through the paper just above the end of the brass head on the shell.

My first centerfire loads were for .308 Winchester, again using a Lee Loader. 165 gr. Sierra boattail bullet and IMR 4064 powder. I don't remember the brand of brass. I think it was with CCI 200 primers.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-40 krag with a lee hand tool-that was in the late 60s while I was in high school. I think i used 180gr bullets and 3031 powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
30/06 in 1960. 22/250 in the same time frame. Nearly blew up the rifle, one case didn't get any powder. Never made that mistake again.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote