Notify
Tools

45-70 hot load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
Dear Sirs:

I am planning to hunt with a lever action rifle based in a a new marlin action, with a 26 inches barrel.

According with your experience, If I plan to use 300 gr bullets (Sierra HP), what are the hottest loads it can be got, with this combination (marlin action and 26 inches barrel).

Thank you in advance for your commnets.

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend loading the 300gr Sierra bullet much over 1800fps, as it may come appart and not have adequate penetration.

I have shot several deer with that bullet at 1800fps muzzle velocity and it worked great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I would not recommend loading the 300gr Sierra bullet much over 1800fps, as it may come appart and not have adequate penetration.

I have shot several deer with that bullet at 1800fps muzzle velocity and it worked great.

I run some hot loads in that bullet and the 405gr Rem in a Marling and a Ruger 1. I run mine hot simply for the accuracy they produce. They come apart readily when pushed real hard. I've shot em into various media and results are same.

I've only shot deer size game 110 yards and in at around 1650 with that bullet and it worked very well. I'm guessing 2 maybe 3 deer with that one.

This big boy sure deosnt need hyper speed to deliver kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like the Remington 405gr bullets. Good reliable expander with a fair amount of weight for decent penetration.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6_5X57:
Dear Sirs:

I am planning to hunt with a lever action rifle based in a a new marlin action, with a 26 inches barrel.

According with your experience, If I plan to use 300 gr bullets (Sierra HP), what are the hottest loads it can be got, with this combination (marlin action and 26 inches barrel).

Thank you in advance for your commnets.

I guess you want to go fast. The light bullets are not really the forte of the 45-70 but they work ok.

Just look up the top data for the 1895 Marlin
using IMR4198, IMR4227 and Reloader 7.
If you cannot find these locally find the equivalent extruded single base powder.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back when I assembled, with the help of a gunsmith, a Siam .45/70 and did a bit of loading. I only shot a few 500 grain bullets at trapdoor loads. THEY KICK! And as I tired of the project I ran into a Reloader 7 load for Trapdoors, 300 grain bullet at 2200 fps as I recall. This kind of velocity I doubt you need a hollow point and mild working pressure, easier on the gun, any gun. My only complaint, case life with the hotter loads is limited. Case not made for hot loads. I would see if my gun liked this #7 load and probably not look back unless going to Africa which does not seem to be in my cards. LUCK. Happy trails. Happy Holidays.